Pump for Counterflow Wort Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XanderBrew

Reaction score
I am starting to upgrade and piecing together my brew rig, I have my 2 Keggles and Cooler Mash Tun, but am now thinking of making a Counterflow Wort Chiller.

My question is do I need a pump for this or does gravity work just fine. Also, does the hose from the hot wort just clamp on the end of the 3/8" copper tube without a barb? does it ever slip off?

Thanks!

-Andy

Does gravity work? Well, yes, it does. Is it ideal? Not at all in my opinion. I started w/ no pump and just praying that gravity would do me well. That lasted two batches. What a PITA that was.

When I had a CFC, I just used a hose clamp to hold the hose to the tubing. Never had an issue there.

I've used my CFC for the past year being gravity fed. Works fine. I do have a pump I plan on integrating to recirculate, But I've always been able to chill just fine while draining via gravity.

I used gravity initially for a few batches, but soon decided that pumping was a much better way to go. I now do the psuedo whirlpool chill method, pumping in a loop through the CFC and back into the BK for rapid cooling. Gravity flow was no where near fast enough for me. So, the bottom line is yes, gravity will work, but pumping is far better IMO.

Back