First Batch Noob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fitz9001

Reaction score
First off I wanna thank all the regular poster on here for all the advice I've gotten already. I am one the christmas gift brew noobs you all shake your heads in disbelief at but im gonna go ahead and post my first brew questions and concerns anyway. My kit is the basic kit from northern brewer and my first beer extract kit was called a Glacier Amber ale from NB. I started the brew on sunday and all went well. My only real mistake was not accounting for the amount of wort i lost while cooking and only ended up with 4.5 gallons in the fermenter (didnt realize until after i fermentation began). My O.G. was a bit higher than expected (1.50) but i assume this is due to the 4.5 gals instead of the 5. My airlock began bubbling less than 10 hrs after i sealed it so i assume eveything is kosher so far. Im havin a little trouble maintaining a consistet temp but im sure its within the proper range for the yeast used. I believe it called for 65-70. now im 2 days in and the bubbling slowed but still consistent. My question is should i go the secondary fermentation route? I did order a 6 gal better bottle and the receipe sheet calls for 7-10 in the secndary, but based on what i have surmised from the old pros on here the current prevaling thought is leaving it in the primary is more beneficial. I know I've left a ton of info out. Please any advice or questions/concerns on my process would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Kelly P.S. my glacier ale kit didnt come with any info on the o.g.,s.g. or final i should be expecting???

My question is should i go the secondary fermentation route?

If you want good beer, you bet.

Leave it in the primary until the Krausen falls and then rack to secondary for 2 weeks, then bottle and condition for 3 weeks.

Great beer in six weeks.

Or if you want great beer, you could leave it in the primary for a month then bottle.

Even John Palmer talks about this in How To Bew;

How To Brew said:
Leaving an ale beer in the primary fermentor for a total of 2-3 weeks (instead of just the one week most canned kits recommend), will provide time for the conditioning reactions and improve the beer. This extra time will also let more sediment settle out before bottling, resulting in a clearer beer and easier pouring. And, three weeks in the primary fermentor is usually not enough time for off-flavors to occur.

That's what many of us do, and only secondary if we are adding fruit or oak, or moving the beer because we had fruit in the boil/primary like in a pumpkin ale.

We even dry hop in primary these days.

ok lemme run this by you guys. What if a siphon a couple gallons into my secondary that way i could compare for myself? Would there be any down side to this?

I have 6 AND three buckets, but I do not want to use the other 4. It seems harder each time to get the krausening ring out of the 2 I do use.

I use to use buckets but now I like to LOOK inside at the yeasties.

And, when in secondary, after a couple of days, you can see the cloudiness burning out of the brew like fog burning off in San Diego. The line just drops from the top clearing, clearing, clearing, ahhhh.....

ok lemme run this by you guys. What if a siphon a couple gallons into my secondary that way i could compare for myself? Would there be any down side to this?

Oh you noob! :D Just kidding I've never called anyone a noob before in my life, however, I feel I should point out something that should be obvious to all.

You have your first batch in the bucket were it should sit for a month. Here is the obvious part, you have a brand new 6 gallon BB sitting EMPTY. Why haven't you already started your second batch? Don't waste your BB on anything other than another batch!!!!!

Oh you noob! :D Just kidding I've never called anyone a noob before in my life, however, I feel I should point out something that should be obvious to all.

You have your first batch in the bucket were it should sit for a month. Here is the obvious part, you have a brand new 6 gallon BB sitting EMPTY. Why haven't you already started your second batch? Don't waste your BB on anything other than another batch!!!!!

+1,000,000,000

I second the secondary after krausen has fallen.

clearing, clearing, clearing ...

DSCN0312.jpg

Revvy thanks for the correction and a million apologies to the lovely and knowledgeable Nurmey.

Unless you had a secondary vessel small enough to hold just the few gallons I personally wouldn't want to risk oxidation with all the extra head space generated in new vessel. Just my 2 coppers

Back