New From Oklahoma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RRRaper

Reaction score
Hello, let me introduce myself.
I bought my first starter kit from "Wine Arts" in Tulsa, Ok a very long time ago. But after a divorcee and many moves later all the stuff got lost. And now considering doing this again.
When I was doing this I can remember going to a locale bar and paying the deposit on the bottles (how things change).
I am considering the "Personal Home Brewery #4" from morebeer.com. But I have a question: Is a kitchen stove going to be healthy enough to boil 5 gallons of water?

Russ

First Welcome to another Oklahoma Brewer! I started out on the stove but only doing partial boils. I say get yourself a turkey fryer and brew outside if you have the space, it really helps. Are you doing extract or all grain?

SD

Welcome RRRaper. I just did my first home brew yesterday, and did it on my kitchen stove. The only thing I noticed was the long wait to get it to a boil. Those kitchen stoves only get so hot.... Think next go I am going to fire up the fish cooker.

swing on down to high gravity in tulsa and they can answer any question you might have. Ask for Dave. He's the man. As others have said, if you want to boil 5+ gallons then you will probably want to move outdoors with a propane burner. If you want to do partial boils, however, you can do that fine on most stoves.

seriously, though, high gravity is a good place to do business. Welcome

i second high gravity. its where i buy my stuff. you can head over to the mexican grocer at lewis and archer i think and pick up an alum pot and stove for 80 bucks and trust me it will work great. think its 80qts and used for tamales. and i bought the delux starter kit with 2 6gal carboys a ale pail and bottling bucket and everything to get you started. check out highgravitybrew.com doesnt look like they offer the delux kit anymore though. but the ale pail will do you fine. and you can head over to old time pottry in ba and pick up a couple glass 5 gallon carboys for 19 bucks a piece.

you might also want to check out better bottles if you are buying your carboys separately. Some will argue about the use of plastics and the long term exposure to oxygen, but it's hard to argue with how light they are compared to glass carboys.

im waiting on the carboys from superior. and i couldnt pass up 5 of those 5 gallon carboys for 19 bucks though ;-)

$19 buck aint bad, but i've got $50K into my back so far and anything that saves me from lifting heavy weights is worth the extra $$

Back