Steep To Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BNVince

Reaction score
I have an electric stove and it's really weak for brewing. After I steep the grains for 30 minutes at a around 153 degrees, it takes about 40 minutes to get the 3 gallons of wort up to a boil.

Is this a really bad thing? Does it cause off flavors?

It's not going to hurt anything, as long as you aren't leaving the grains in there after steeping while you're heating it to a boil...

If you have a good sanitized lid for your pot you could cover after stepping for a bit to help speed it up. Some will argue against this, but I usually do it for a bit and I've never had a problem.

jvh261 said:
If you have a good sanitized lid for your pot you could cover after stepping for a bit to help speed it up. Some will argue against this, but I usually do it for a bit and I've never had a problem.

I was going to try that as well. I figured it would speed things up a bit.

i'm in the same boat. I have a crappy electric stove as well.

I'm going to invest in a turkey fryer soon i think.

jvh261 said:

This is a good idea. But, watch it, once it reaches a boil this will invite a boil-over. Also, leave the lid off for the boil.

Back