Got My Tax Return...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiversC174

Reaction score
and it was a pleasant surprise :fro: . I now have to figure out how to spend it and investing (it is an investment, right?) it in homebrew supplies seemed natural. I just had a couple of questions. My first priority is moving up to full boils. I'm going to get an 8 gallon pot (or is 7 gallon alright?) but I now have to figure out how to boil all that water/wort quickly. I just wanted to know if most people have a propane burner (how many BTUs is enough?) or a turkey cooker as I will be needing one of them. I will possibly be moving into an apartment soon and ventilation may be an issue if that makes a difference. Just want to know what you guys think is better based on your experience, any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Joe

Buy a Sabco kettle. 'Nuff said.

As for a turkey fryer, the usual 55K burners will do well, however a King Kooker will be even better. Try to get around 100k or so and you'll be set.

I agree with the dude, SABCO all the way, and one of them king kooker's. After you get your kettle contact a local sheet metal place, or someone that has a plasma cutter to do the job.

While your at it consider purchasing 30 or 40 lb tank. It should only cost about 2.00-4.00 more to fil then a 20 lb tank ang will go much further.

RiversC174 said:
I will possibly be moving into an apartment soon and ventilation may be an issue if that makes a difference.

this is definitely an issue. absolutely DO NOT use a propane burner indoors.

I was thinking about this bad boy from morebeer, as good as/better than King Kooker? :

http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=15768

I was also thinking of getting a modified brew kettle from them with a spigot. Are the kettles at morebeer any good? I couldnt find a sabco brand kettle on there but I'll look elsewhere as well.

RiversC174 said:
I was thinking about this bad boy from morebeer, as good as/better than King Kooker? :

I was also thinking of getting a modified brew kettle from them with a spigot. Are the kettles at morebeer any good? I couldnt find a sabco brand kettle on there but I'll look elsewhere as well.

I think that model is more expensive, it always helps tyo find those things on sites other than homebrew stores. You can really find some deals.

Check this link for the sabco kettle. You cannot go wrong with this one.

http://www.kegs.com/unket1.html

Then get a hopstopper from TNlandsailor and you'll be set. This is pretty much exactly how I started out, and I'd do it the same exact way if I had to do it over again.

RiversC174 said:

You can get that EXACT same cooker, with a 7.5gal SS pot from Academy for about $70. That's what I currently use. The pot is somewhat thin, but I've had no problems so far.

http://www.academy.com/index.php?pa...ls/fryers&selectedSKU=0262-02367-0002&start=0

RiversC174 said:

I have that exact same burner. Didn't know it was rated 125K BTUs. From one site I saw somewhere, it is listed at 55K. Amazon.com, I think. I hope it is 125K and not 55K. That would rock! The Bayou Classic (who makes the things) website is here:

www.bayou-classic.com

Oddly enough, they don't list the output. It might be worth giving them a call to ask and see before ordering it. If it's the same output as the morebeer one, and it looks like it is from the pictures, they sell it for less money. 70 something dollars if I remember correctly.

Then you can get the same burner (in a non stainless steel version) from Home Depot for 50 dollars. At least that is what I have read here lately a couple of times.

The one sold by Academy Sports is very similar. The two differeces that I have noticed, is that the frame is welded a little differently and it doesn't have the Bayou Classic name plate. The difference with the frame, is that the sides are a little higher on the BC to keep the pot from sliding off. The Academy model is flush at the top with the pot supports. No biggie.

The Sabco kettles are nice. You won't need any plasma work done on them. The top is already cut out.

Lounge Lizard + said:
The one sold by Academy Sports is very similar. The two differeces that I have noticed, is that the frame is welded a little differently and it doesn't have the Bayou Classic name plate. The difference with the frame, is that the sides are a little higher on the BC to keep the pot from sliding off. The Academy model is flush at the top with the pot supports. No biggie.

Hmm...maybe they've changed. Mine doesn not say Bayou classic on it, but I bought it about 3-4 years back and the outer edge is raised to prevent the kettle from sliding off. It's even big enough that a sabco will fit and the edges keep it from sliding also. Maybe they've changed them since I bought mine?

Jester4176 said:
Hmm...maybe they've changed. Mine doesn not say Bayou classic on it, but I bought it about 3-4 years back and the outer edge is raised to prevent the kettle from sliding off. It's even big enough that a sabco will fit and the edges keep it from sliding also. Maybe they've changed them since I bought mine?

It could be that they have changed the design. Or maybe just this one run of them had the sides a little different. Either way, I bet the same factory that made yours, makes the Bayou Classic. I probably should have bought the Academy one, but being a Cajun wannabe, I wanted Bayou on mine... lol

Back