should i substitute the lb of LME i'm missing for a lb of corn sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bergman1118

Reaction score
Ok, i'm about to start my second batch (still n00bish), and i'm going on a recipe for a brown ale i dug up.. my question is, it calls for 7 lbs of dark LME, and I purchased 6 lbs LME (cause that's how they typically come as far as i know), should i substitute the lb of LME i'm missing for a lb of corn sugar? or should i just use less water maybe? i know using less LME will result in lower alcohol beer, and that substituting the corn sugar will make it lighter, less maltier, but how much lighter bodied will that lb of corn sugar make it? i enjoy full flavored beers and am just wondering if it is worth it to throw some corn sugar in there or not.. here's the recipe off the top of my head (believe this is right)

7 lbs dark LME
1 oz fuggles
1/2 oz cascade
1/2 lb crystal malt (maybe 1/4.. can't remember)
1/2 lb black patent malt

Don't throw the sugar in there, I don't think you would be very happy. If you have LHBS near you go pick some up or order another batch of supplies and get some more. No sense in rushing a beer.

All the corn sugar is going to do is dry out the beer and boost the ABV. With that in mind, if you're okay with what it will do, then go for it.

Personally, I'd leave it out. If the LHBS is nearby I'd go pick up a 1lb. bag of dark DME, if they have it, or see if they sell LME in bulk. I didn't realize my LHBS did until I asked.

Did you buy the cans of LME? Those are usually 3.3# (1.5 kilos), which is probably where the 7# comes from. Buy yourself some DME, it's good for making up the difference with recipes like this and it's easier to store.

Personally, I'd leave it out. If the LHBS is nearby I'd go pick up a 1lb. bag of dark DME, if they have it, or see if they sell LME in bulk. I didn't realize my LHBS did until I asked.

Good idea, but remember that DME is more concentrated than LME so if you use DME and want it to be the same gravity, you will need to use roughly 20% less of the DME. In other words, add .8 lbs of DME to make up for the 1 lb of LME.

Good idea, but remember that DME is more concentrated than LME so if you use DME and want it to be the same gravity, you will need to use roughly 20% less of the DME. In other words, add .8 lbs of DME to make up for the 1 lb of LME.

Touche. :cross:

Very true and in larger volumes I'd be concerned about it but if I'm only substituting for one pound I'm just going to dump the conveniently pre-weighed package in and not worry about it. The difference in gravity will be minimal.

Very true and in larger volumes I'd be concerned about it but if I'm only substituting for one pound I'm just going to dump the conveniently pre-weighed package in and not worry about it. The difference in gravity will be minimal.

Ah, that's nice. At my LHBS, they only sell it in fractions of a 5.5 pound bag; 1/4 bag is 22 oz., 1/2 bag is 44 oz., and full bag is 88 oz. (5.5 lbs).

You are right though, the difference is minimal and may very well be welcome. :D

Sorry to continue the OT posting but that's an odd way of packaging DME, at least from my experience. My LHBS sells DME in either 1lb. or 3lb. packages and LME in bulk, whatever volume you like, or 3.3lb. cans.

the nearest "LHBS" to me is about 1.5 hours away, so just driving to pick up some DME isn't the most convenient/easy thing for me to do.. anything wrong with using less water? or will this not really accomplish anything? since nobody has suggested just going with 6 lbs LME i'm guessing that amount would make a weak beer?

It's unlikely to make a weak beer. It will still be beer and probably good beer. I think people were probably assuming that you had HB store closer to you. I would recommend if you like full flavor beer and getting more ingredients is not a viable option right now that you just go with what you have. If you use sugar you will make a stronger beer but a thinner beer. I guess if you are worried about a little more alcohol you could add a 1/4 lb of the sugar without sacrificing flavor or body. Maybe you could get away with a 1/2 lb but I wouldn't do it.

:tank:

Yeah, I probably should have been more specific. If you don't have a "L"HBS I'd just use the 6lb. and call it good. You'll miss the intended OG by a bit, your ABV will be slightly less but aside from that not no harm will come to the beer and it will still turn out tasty.

cool thanks guys. i'll probably go with the 6 lbs, but i just found out a few hours ago that i might be making a stop over in the region where my hbs is.. so maybe i'll pick up some dme. if not no biggie, i might throw in a 1/4 lb of corn sugar or so if the mood strikes me when i'm starting the wort.

Back