5 hop/oz IPA? Suggestions? Thoughts on proposed hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlindWillieBrewer

Reaction score
So I'm a big IPA brewer/guy. I recently placed another order of 5 lbs. of hops and when I receive them I am thinking of doing an IPA with each variety. Probably do one ounce of each hop. Suggestion or anyone tried the following combo?

Hops:
Galena 13.8% AA
Centennial 11% AA
Perle approx. 7% AA
Cascade approx. 6% AA
Saphir 3.7% AA

Probably will go in this order from highest AA to lowest with cascade or saphir used for to dry-hop.
Thanks

I have a "C-Hop" IPA in the primary right now.

I used 60m Magnum and Cascade, Centennial, Citra, Crystal, Columbus and Chinook. 3oz @10m and again @0m. 2.1 oz in the dry hop.

It's probably a bit overhopped :/

1 oz galena at 60

1 oz centennial at 10

1 oz cascade at whirlpool

1 oz perle dry hop
1 oz saphir dry hop

mmmmm........

I have recently found that i have been overthinking my IPA's....to many hop additions. Bitter it at 60m throw in a bunch at 10, throw in a bunch at whirlpool and dry hop it.........

you are probably gonna want more finishing hops that that if you want it to have a good amount of flavor hops to it.

your basically at the 2lbs a barrel with 5oz which is pretty low for an IPA IMO

Bells two hearted is IMO a great IPA, and it is not super, crazily hopped with finishing hops and it turns out great.

A guy could mix the perle, cent, casc and saph together and add equal portions at 10-whirlpool and dry hop.....that could be cool too. 4 oz of finishing hops is quite a bit.........although you west coast guys put hop water on your cereal in the morning!

Bells two hearted is IMO a great IPA, and it is not super, crazily hopped with finishing hops and it turns out great.

A guy could mix the perle, cent, casc and saph together and add equal portions at 10-whirlpool and dry hop.....that could be cool too. 4 oz of finishing hops is quite a bit.........although you west coast guys put hop water on your cereal in the morning!

you ever had hop water (tea)? I tried it with some homegrown hops and wasn't half bad, but gave me that taste where you shake your head when you drink it, mine might have been a bit strong though :D

a7af5c44-202f-498b-a3ce-0c53b02222ff_424x568r270.jpg

ha! I never tried hop water, but I did make a mistake that I think many homebrewers make.....eating a hop pellet.

Back