adding tap water to cooled wort - OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanT

Reaction score
I am about to start brewing an IPA in about an hour or so. I am going to make the wort, cool it, then add it to the fermenting bucket. I will then need to add more water to bring the total volume up to 5 gallons. I am planning on adding tap water straight to the bucket of cooled wort, then stirring a lot, then pitching yeast.

I live in Chicago. Is our tap water safe to do this with? Or do I need to pre-boil?

Thanks guys.

Any city water supply should be safe to use, taste is the more important factor IMO. If your water tastes good from the tap, it should be okay in your beer. I don't know about Chicago's water, but I have good water here and I can't tell the difference whether I use tap or bottled.

That said, I often use bottled water in gallon jugs because I like to pre-chill my top-off water and it's more convenient for me not to have to sanitize and fill jugs first.

I think I'd be most worried about the chlorine in the water than the
bugs". May work just fine, but I'm with the "run to the store" school of thought on this one. OTOH, if you do it, and it works fine you'll know in the future you can brew with your tap water no problem.

I just pre boiled and cooled down 3 gal of water to 78 degrees. i'll take the safe route this time, then just buy spring water next time.

Like has been said - if your water tastes fine then its fine for your beer. I used water straight from the sink on all my extract and PM brews that needed to be topped off.

I not only use tap water, I use the sprayer on the kitchen sink. Using the sprayer lets you cool and aerate the wort at the same time. You can get a TON of foam that way.

Since I started doing that with my last few batches, the fermentation seem to start before I can even get the airlock attached.

I know i just brought this back from the dead, but thanks for the replies.....I have been worried the past week after adding about 1.5 gal to a batch that I didn't cool fast enough (thought I had more ice on hand then I did)

Back