Potassium metabisulfite to condition water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpsloan

Reaction score
I've read in a few places that potassium metabisulfite can be used to bind the chlorine and chloramine out of municiple water. My tap water is not to shabby (the water report I got a couple weeks ago didn't mention chloramine, so I'm not sure if they consider it "chlorine" or not), but I am getting some subtle but distracting chlorophenol flavors. I suspect the water.

I've got a bag of the stuff for my wine-making, and I was wondering if I couldn't fill my bottling bucket with, say, eight gallons of tap water, and then stir in some p.m., and then use that bottling bucket as my water source for the brew?

I've found in another thread that 1 campden tablet can treat 20 gallons of water. So... half a tablet would treat 10 gallons. What would that be equivalent to in the powdered form... 1/4 teaspoon?

Thats what I have been doing for my brew water. Running the water through a carbon filter slowly is probably the best solution but I have found the campden tablet work well also.
I fill a large brew bucket the night before and add a crushed campden tablet. I use 1 tablet for 8 gals of brew water so I'm using much more than I need but I don't think it really hurts anything. In wine making many recipes can for 1 tablet per gallon to the must 12 hours before pitching the yeast.

Craig

I think its 1/4 tablet per 5gallons of water to neutralize chloramine. If your water company ONLY uses chlorine, you can just let it sit over nite ina bucket, and run an aquarium air pump in it. chlorine will out gas...chloramine won't, and requires some form of treatment to bind.

Back