dry-hopping w/ homegrown hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackJaqueJanaviac

Reaction score
Is there any risk of infection by dry hopping with homegrown hops?

It seems that everyone stresses the importance of sterilizing everything that goes into the brew after the boil. I've dry hopped before but I always trusted that the hermetically sealed LHBS hops pellets were safe to toss in as-is.

Do you guys do anything to sterilize the hops before dry hopping?

I've pondered the same question. I thought maybe steaming them (quickly) would work.

After thinking about it, most (not all, most) beers that are dry hopped have fairly high ABV, thus limiting the growth of just about anything bad. I'd dry them first (as opposed to wet hopping) to get any bugs out, and then throw them in the secondary and not worry about it.

Is there any risk of infection by dry hopping with homegrown hops?

It seems that everyone stresses the importance of sterilizing everything that g
I'm sure there's probably as much risk as with using commercial hops. I never have had any problems over the last 20 or so years when using homegrown but I'm only one person. Just dry properly, store properly and enjoy a great pint!

Back