Concentrates impact on taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnirish

Reaction score
I'm going to be bottling cider soon and was curious about how adding apple juice concentrate effects the final product. Can adding the frozen can of concentrate work the same as priming sugar? In other words, does concentrate serve the same purpose as priming sugar in that it adds carbonation but has the added advantage of sweetening it too? And do you literally just dump the frozen clump in there, stir, and bottle?

Thanks!

I use concentrate as priming sugar. Add up the amount of sugar listed on the nutrition statement and it will tell you how much is in a can so you can add the correct amount. I use it because it adds back a nice apple flavor to the finished product as well as sweetness. I've only used the shelf stable Juicy Juice cans but I would let the frozen concentrate thaw before adding it so you don't have to stir too much and risk oxidation.

If you add more sugar of any sort it will just ferment out.

If you use potassium sorbate to retard the yeasts fermentation you won't be able to naturally carbonate.

The additional juice will backsweeten, but if you want carbonation you'll have to keg.

homebrewer_99 said:
If you add more sugar of any sort it will just ferment out.

If you use potassium sorbate to retard the yeasts fermentation you won't be able to naturally carbonate.

The additional juice will backsweeten, but if you want carbonation you'll have to keg.

I beg to differ with you 99. I always carb and back sweeten my cider with concentrate. Yes, it does ferment as does any priming sugar but it adds great apple flavor and sweetness as well.

Nurmey said:
I beg to differ with you 99. I always carb and back sweeten my cider with concentrate. Yes, it does ferment as does any priming sugar but it adds great apple flavor and sweetness as well.
OK, I stand corrected...;)...I just keep mine as still (uncarbonated)cider.

But have to ask how much sugar is in a can of concentrate? I'd be concerned about overpriming and bottle grenades.

What's your experience with it?

There is a smidgen over 5 ozs in the cans I use but since I like it very bubbly, I'm okay with that. I've had my last two batches sitting in the dining room for a little over a month (70° or so) with no bombs. I usually move them to the basement for cellaring but I've been too darn lazy to haul the cases down.

Has anyone else primed with concentrate for their cider? I'm going to be bottling in a week or so, and this is what I'm planning on doing.

Just want to make sure nobody has had any bombs. Maybe I won't put the whole thing in...

This same issue was just dealt with a few days ago in the "Man, I love..." thread.

It started with post #3769 on page #377, and went on for a couple of pages.

The bottom line result was that using 1 can of frozen apple concentrate to bottle carb a 5-gallon batch of AW gave less carbonation than the standard dextrose addition to the bottling bucket.

Pogo

Cross posted to the I love Apfelwein thread, too. (if thats wrong a mod can delete one of them please?)

Apple concentrate
Tree top. 12 oz makes 48 oz
= (6) - 8 oz servings so that’s 2 oz's a serving not reconstituted.
It has 26 grams sugar per serving.

Normal sugar
4.2 grams sugar per teaspoon
3.15 grams per 3/4 teaspoon

SO
to carb 12 bottles of cider (1 Gallon) with normal carb rate (3/4 teaspoon per bottle) I can use 3 oz of treetop apple concentrate in one gallon of cider instead of the .15 cup of priming sugar. 3/4 teaspoon sugar X 12 bottles = 37.8 grams sugar. 3 oz of Tree Top concentrate = 39 grams sugar.

Which explains why a 12 oz can of concentrate in 5 gallons is low on carbonation it should have 15 oz of the Tree Top concentrate.

Yes/no/maybe? does that make sense?

Cross posted to the I love Apfelwein thread, too. (if thats wrong a mod can delete one of them please?)

Apple concentrate
Tree top. 12 oz makes 48 oz
= (6) - 8 oz servings so that’s 2 oz's a serving not reconstituted.
It has 26 grams sugar per serving.

Normal sugar
4.2 grams sugar per teaspoon
3.15 grams per 3/4 teaspoon

SO
to carb 12 bottles of cider (1 Gallon) with normal carb rate (3/4 teaspoon per bottle) I can use 3 oz of treetop apple concentrate in one gallon of cider instead of the .15 cup of priming sugar.

Which explains why a 12 oz can of concentrate in 5 gallons is low on carbonation it should have 15 oz of the Tree Top concentrate.

Yes/no/maybe? does that make sense?
Is that 15 oz by weight or by volume?

Back