Help! Hardly any action in primary fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lelorien

Reaction score
Hello HomeBrewTalk community!

This is my first time brewing an all grain beer and an IPA. The mash didn't go that well bringing me to an OG of 1.055 instead of the 1.068 I was aiming for. I decided I would ferment it nonetheless and see how things would go.

From monday night to wednesday morning (today), all I've seen appear on top is a thin film of kreusen about 1/4 of an inch thick, where my other beers produced one to two inches of thick kreusen. My yeast is dehydrated Safale s-05 which I rehydrated prior to use. This is my first time using that too, I usually use Nottingham. oh, and I'm fermenting in a bucket.

Should I be alarmed? It's been almost two days. Should I pitch in another packet?

Thank you!

Wait it out and check gravity as normal. A small krausen is still a sign of fermentation, it will be fine. It might be a little weird depending on exactly what happened during your first mash, but still fine.

Not a huge beer so I am not astounded by small kreusen. Your only concern should be that your mash was successful in converting the starches. If it wasn't, your FG will be high, and more yeast won't help.

Back