how pissed does it make you...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blawjr

Reaction score
when you see these big beer company ads on TV talking about "triple hops brewed, vortex bottle, never watered down...bull**** bull**** bull****" ughh every time I see one now days it just makes me angry!

It's not your company. You don't have to buy or drink their beer. Relax. Focus on your own brewing. Save your sanity for something more important.

Meh, doesn't bother me at all. If marketing embellishments angered me, I'd be one up tight dude. Not worth it.

Besides, the majority of our population enjoy light lager when choosing a beer. Why should I care where and how my neighbor spends his/her paycheck? Not my business.

Apparently, not as pissed as it makes you.

They're trying to sell a product. They're simply marketing to the dumb masses.

It doesn't piss me off at all, no more than any other commercials for any other product.

Craft/imported beer has been around and available to me sine I turn 21 in 1980-something, I choose to drink it. But despite that billions of people choose to make american light lagers their tipple of choice. So what? That is their choice, and the big breweries do a great job of perfecting that difficult style to brew, and turning it out consistantly.

If people didn't like it, they wouldn't be brewing it. There's plenty of beer on this planet, and people can choose to drink what they like, and I drink what I like.

COLD FILTERED!!!!!!! has so improved my processes.

i don't think the op is pissed. He is indignant.

It is funny, but it isn't just that they are fooling the unwashed masses, people want to believe the BS. They want to argue over whether the vortex makes miller better, or whether it is the tender loving care with which they triple hop.

There is no arguing with them (unless you want to join the "less filling, tastes great" inane discussion). They will find their own way or not, but don't let it get to you.

They want to argue over whether the vortex makes miller better, ....

But realistically it's not a bad idea, it's really no difference than the Sam Adam's glass with the rough bottom to provide nucleation sites to help kick up the co2 which in turn lifts the flavors and aroma to our nose and certain taste buds. No different that using the "proper" glasswear for the style of beer.

People get pissed off because BMC did it, but in reality it's a principle that few true beer/wine enthusiast would argue that it doesn't had merit.

The other point about the bottle is that it ALSO promotes what we beer geeks know is the proper way to drink a beer....from a glass.

If we paid 700+ dollars and pulled a vortex bottle out of a stuffed squirrel from Brew Dog first, we'd be raving about the vortex bottle as a revolution in beer appreciation, or if it came from Dogfish Head, we'd want to suck Sam Caligione's weenus for his brilliance, but because it came from a macro brewery beer snobs look at it with disdain.....Instead of the fact that it does have some merit.

Same with Triple hopped...You know most other light american lagers, and many low IBU German style beers have only ONE hop addition? My Vienna Lager only has one, for bittering. So, Miller decided to do 3 additions like many ales, and it actually does have a bit more hop aroma/flavor. So they decided to promote the fact that it's different from BUD...What's the big deal?

And how different really is it with us creaming our jeans over 30, 60 and 120 minute IPA? It's ok because it's a Micro brewery?

At least in their own way they are teaching the american populace a tiny bit more about hops then they would have known. It might even encourage some folks to try hoppier styles of craft beer.

Actually quite the opposite for me. I usually get a good laugh out of those commercials.

But realistically it's not a bad idea, it's really no difference than the Sam Adam's glass with the rough bottom to provide nucleation sites to help kick up the co2 which in turn lifts the flavors and aroma to our nose and certain taste buds. No different that using the "proper" glasswear for the style of beer.

People get pissed off because BMC did it, but in reality it's a principle that few true beer/wine enthusiast would argue that it doesn't had merit.

The other point about the bottle is that it ALSO promotes what we beer geeks know is the proper way to drink a beer....from a glass.

If we paid 700+ dollars and pulled a vortex bottle out of a stuffed squirrel from Brew Dog first, we'd be raving about the vortex bottle as a revolution in beer appreciation, or if it came from Dogfish Head, we'd want to suck Sam Caligione's weenus for his brilliance, but because it came from a macro brewery beer snobs look at it with disdain.....Instead of the fact that it does have some merit.

Same with Triple hopped...You know most other light american lagers, and many low IBU German style beers have only ONE hop addition? My Vienna Lager only has one, for bittering. So, Miller decided to do 3 additions like many ales, and it actually does have a bit more hop aroma/flavor. So they decided to promote the fact that it's different from BUD...What's the big deal?

At least in their own way they are teaching the american populace a tiny bit more about hops then they would have known. It might even encourage some folks to try hoppier styles of craft beer.

Its nice to know someone else thinks the same way I do about this BMC advertising. A little over the top at times, yes, but at least they're advertising the beer, not dogs being bartenders or doing home improvements with a case of beer.

The sad thing about the vortex bottles is 1. Their name, vortex sounds kinda cheezy imho and 2. Most people who order a bottle of miller are going to drink it straight from the bottle. I doubt the effects are the same as if pouring into a glass.

Yeah you gotta just laugh. Everyone is trying to make a buck and who can fault them for hyping up their product. Everyone does it.

I couldn't disagree more REVVY.

The beer tyhat is ice cold as the rockies will recive no help from the vortex.

No more than the COLD FILTERING helps 1 damned thing.

Furthermore I patently refuse to believe that miller has ANY hops in it.

My grandfather tells of a time when it was SO DAMN HOT one summer, you could almost taste the miller.

I couldn't disagree more REVVY.

The beer tyhat is ice cold as the rockies will recive no help from the vortex.

No more than the COLD FILTERING helps 1 damned thing.

Furthermore I patently refuse to believe that miller has ANY hops in it.

My grandfather tells of a time when it was SO DAMN HOT one summer, you could almost taste the miller.

I'm no betting man, but I'd bet more than a lot of money that if you analyzed miller lite in a lab you would find isomerized alpha acids. How else would those get there other than adding hops (or extract. Before you get on a high horse about hop extracts, chimay uses them iirc. Wanna bash them still?)

Also, cold filtering is better than hot filtering. Heat speeds up reactions that result in degradation reactions.

Also, cold filtering is better than hot filtering. Heat speeds up reactions that result in degradation reactions.

+1,

Also, how many folks cold crash, and how many here filter, maybe to the keg. How many who do that do the flitering after cold crashing? Isn't it all pretty much the same thing?

Vortex bottle vs all the different types of beer glasses and why
"Triple hopped" vs all the home brew recipes that call for multiple hops additions

same vs same

Lol. Yes I am sure there is an ounce of hops in every 5000 gallons of miller.

(Again, not completely serious)

Cold filtered as a technique is BS compared to whatever temp the wort is filtered, unless said filtration introduces oxygen.

It is all BS because what does the average frat guy know about making beer? Other than the fact that triple hopping sounds cool and exotic.

Gimmick for gimmick's sake is BS.

I prefer this pouring system. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I drink a lot of craft and homemade beer, and truly love it. I also really enjoy chugging a bunch of BMC beers from time to time too. I really am put off by the whole "homebrewers must hate BMC" thing. It's beer, dammit!

It is cheap extremely well made crap that almost tastes like beer, I will give you that.

I don't hate it, and in fact swill it from time to time, but I feel compelled to belittle it, because I have a small penis.

COMMERCIAL MAKE HULK ANGRY! HULK SMASH!

hulk-number-one.jpg

doenst make me really angry. However, I will definitely laugh.

In a group setting and after a couple of drinks Ill find myself educating the crowd on how beer is made and how the stuff they tell you on TV is BS.

Its all marketing. You know every company is going to lie to a certain extent. Why should beer companies be any different?

If that pisses you off, then you must get upset at pretty much every commercial on the air. It is just marketing, dude. Chill.

cheezydemon3 said:
It is cheap extremely well made crap that almost tastes like beer, I will give you that.

I don't hate it, and in fact swill it from time to time, but I feel compelled to belittle it, because I have a small penis.

Exactly.

I was drunk and watching ultimate fighter last night and kept seeing all the beer comercials so i threw up a quick rant, so its best not to take me too seriously. but let me be more specific, it's the fact that america has been TRICKED into thinking that this is what beer should be. TRICKED by ad men into thinking that these three companies are the best of the best, and this is the gold standard. If prohibition hadn't happened and given AB the chance to get a tremendous leg up in the industry, imagine what the beer scene would look likwe today. Imagine the amount of breweries we would have locally and not paying to drink absolute ****, that no one claims tastes good (except the ads), its just "not bad", "easy to drink", "better than the other nasty yellow stuff". I'm sorry but I don't think it's ok for a company to come in and rape an industry the way that these big three have. But thats just my opinion.

How about Hulk MAKE SMaSH!!??

I chuckle whenever I hear the Sam Adam commercial talk about a pound of hops in every barrel of beer... Meh, that's less than tons of people use here in their ales. Never mind IPAs... Of course, I'm not even talking about dry hopping.

It is a bit amusing at how so many non-brewers (or home brewers) think that BMC makes the best brew out there. Of course, Revvy has a very valid point about people and DFH brews too. Personally, I've not had anything from DFH, and don't know if I ever will. I'm very happy to drink what I brew. Even more pleased that I've not bought a single beer from any store since I started brewing. When going out, I only have the option to drink what's available, so I suffer with that. At least until I get home and have a chance to drink something better (not hard to do in some cases)...

I am going to start spinning my bottles of homebrew as i pour them to create a vortex. My beer is going to taste so much better.:)

I was drunk and watching ultimate fighter last night and kept seeing all the beer comercials so i threw up a quick rant, so its best not to take me too seriously. but let me be more specific, it's the fact that america has been TRICKED into thinking that this is what beer should be. TRICKED by ad men into thinking that these three companies are the best of the best, and this is the gold standard. If prohibition hadn't happened and given AB the chance to get a tremendous leg up in the industry, imagine what the beer scene would look likwe today. Imagine the amount of breweries we would have locally and not paying to drink absolute ****, that no one claims tastes good (except the ads), its just "not bad", "easy to drink", "better than the other nasty yellow stuff". I'm sorry but I don't think it's ok for a company to come in and rape an industry the way that these big three have. But thats just my opinion.

And just think of what the beer scene would be like if AB hadn't survived prohibition. I doubt there would be much of one, if any at all.

If you think there aren't local breweries that give you the opportunity to not drink "absolute ****," then you probably need to try looking a little harder. There's more than a few, and they're putting out pretty phenomenal beer if you haven't heard. And I claim Budweiser tastes good. I like PBR a lot too. Also Schlitz. Have I been tricked by marketing to believing that though? No, I came up with that opinion all on my own. I may not agree with all the business practices of AB and MillerCoors, but if you think the leverage they exert on the brewing industry is unique then I'm sorry, that's just how the world works with about every kind of industry.

Craft beer is here to stay, enjoy the selection we have available and if you don't like Bud Light because it pisses you off then just don't buy it. Simple as that.

I don't get worked up about marketing ploys. Just like I don't think "triple hopped" means anything, I don't think Prego Spaghetti Sauce has "real Italian flavor", or that Kraft Mac 'n Cheese is "the cheesiest" with its fake powdered cheese. Anybody who looks at ads in magazines or TV commercials has to realize that marketing is a huge part of our culture. If you drink Bud Light, women think you're hot. If you make Totino's Pizza Rolls, you're a cool mom and only choosy mothers "choose Jif" so if you buy Skippy peanut butter, you're practically a child abuser who doesn't care about her kids.

Marketing has made many people want to smoke (remember the Malboro Man, who died of lung cancer?), drink, eat junk food, and buy cell phones. But we are all born with brains and should be able to figure that out.

Yooper said:
I don't get worked up about marketing ploys. Just like I don't think "triple hopped" means anything, I don't think Prego Spaghetti Sauce has "real Italian flavor", or that Kraft Mac 'n Cheese is "the cheesiest" with its fake powdered cheese. Anybody who looks at ads in magazines or TV commercials has to realize that marketing is a huge part of our culture. If you drink Bud Light, women think you're hot. If you make Totino's Pizza Rolls, you're a cool mom and only choosy mothers "choose Jif" so if you buy Skippy peanut butter, you're practically a child abuser who doesn't care about her kids.

Marketing has made many people want to smoke (remember the Malboro Man, who died of lung cancer?), drink, eat junk food, and buy cell phones. But we are all born with brains and should be able to figure that out.

So if I drink bud light yooper will think I'm hot

Yooper said:

I can't believe you make your kids eat Skippy.

Nobody has been 'tricked" into anything. Seriously, do you know of ANYONE that chooses their beer solely because of advertising? People like what they like. Some folks will not drink anything but Bud Light. Some will swear that anything but Coors Light makes them want to puke. Let it go. You like what you like, they like what they like. They don't bash your homebrew, so don't bash their BMC.

EDIT:
One more thing: All of those beer commercials that you were bitching about are the very thing that enabled you to watch your Ultimate Fighter, or basketball game, or football game, or whatever, for free. Without those advertising dollars, those events would only be available on PPV and you wouldn't get to see any of it. So suck it up and watch your shows and go to the can during the commercials like everybody else.

Actually, there was a great documentary called Beer Wars that argued that the only difference between the major brews was the lifestyles that the advertisements associated with the beer.

I suggest you read "Ambitious Brew" by Maureen Ogle. That will separate your opinion from actual facts.

If the "big three" are raping an industry, why are there ~1700 craft breweries operating in the United States, compared to under 100 just 30 years ago?

http://www.brewersassociation.org/pages/business-tools/craft-brewing-statistics/number-of-breweries

totalbreweries2010_download.jpg

Marketing and advertising does actual harm to real people and I'm not as anxious as some of you to be forgiving of it.

Beer advertising isn't the worst.

Pappers_ said:
Marketing and advertising does actual harm to real people and I'm not as anxious as some of you to be forgiving of it.

Beer advertising isn't the worst.

Medication advertising is.

Latest posts

Back