Looking for a short and wide fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sumo

Reaction score
I have a 6 cubic foot freezer in my apartment that I use for temp control fermentation and for chilling 2 kegs when I am not. Its has a shelf in it that the compressor is under. I can put a carboy on the shelf and its too tall with the air lock. What I am looking for is something wider then it is tall. I have 2 Mr beers that fit perfect, however the beer made in the Mr beers can't stay in them for long. After 10 days they get funky.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

I use Vittles Vaults. PetSmart carries 'em for under $20. Drill it for an airlock and spigot and you're good to go. I can easily ferment 4 gallons in this size.

Wow! I have one of these for my dogs food, I never thought of using it this way! Is it the #1 plastic that better bottles are made of?

Food-grade FDA approved high-density polyethylene, just like traditional fermenting buckets.

I curb side picked up a plastic 5 gallon bottle with a glazed base and valve sitting on a 4 legged stand. The Bottle has a flat spot and handle in the middle. All is fresh and clean, the plastic bottle has a triangle on the bottom with a number 7 in the middle. I was thinking use this as a hopper for the future grain mill wish list. The #7 in the triangle ok for my use?
I should instead start a new thread not to pirate this thread.

15 bucks at Target . I use these when we dry camp . Not as tall as a carboy only thing is they are 7 gallon so headspace may be a problem

aqua.jpg

Back