Wheat Beer Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IwanaBrich

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I brewed my first batch of wheat beer and it won't seem to settle out. I used my second BB Carboy as both primary and secondary fermenter (no racking). I normally use my 7 gallon plastic primary fermenter, then rack it to one of my carboys, but i read some posts where folks don't do that, so I figured I'd try it.

When I removed the blow-off tube to put on an airlock, I also took hydrometer reading. It seemed just about finished fermenting, since I got a 1.010 reading. It smelled and even tasted great. Unfortunately there is still some crap floating on the top that won't seem to settle and it's also still very cloudy. I started a second batch (Irish Stout) a couple days later using my normal racking method and it's already setting out. I tried moving the location of the wheat beer's carboy, trying cooler and warmer spots, but this didn't help.

Is this how wheat beer goes or did I screw something up? Any suggestions.

If the gravity is stable, and where the recipe says it should be, you can rack from underneath. Hefeweizen yeast sometimes kick up a lot of krausen that doesn't always fall.

I was told to let the wheats remain in primary and not use a secondary....Go straight to the bottling bucket when ready, I used this with my hefe with great results.

Leave it in primary for a couple more weeks, if you are not racking for secondary, then just go straight to bottling bucket.

If your hydro reading is steady for 3 days, bottle away, rack from underneath. I never leave wheat beers more than 3 weeks because I like to drink them fast and young ;) Usually I do 2 weeks in primary (if i get a steady FG) and two weeks in the bottle, and its good.

Back