Quick Question from a Noob.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcgriff88

Reaction score
My first batch has been in the fermenter/LBK for 3 weeks and the FG is at a finishing point ( i think ) and taste flat no sweetness to it....but there are still little bubbles on the surface. Is it ok to bottle or do i need to wait? I waited an extra few days to see if the bubbles would dispurse but still the same amount on the surface. Any help or feed back would be highly gratefull.

Newbie to newbie....hydrometer reading taken two or three consecutive days should tell you if its ready. When its the same, then it should be ready to bottle.

That's what I've read and heard a million times....I'm sure someone else will chime in and set me straight if I'm wrong

Yup def. need a hydrometer otherwise there's no way of knowing if your wort is fermented or even fermenting.

I'm only on my 5th batch but just got a refractometer this week. $37 on amazon. If you don't have a hydrometer I would consider just going to this. Only takes a few drops to test as opposes to about 3oz for the hydro.

There's always co2 in solution to one degree to another, it's one of the two by products of fermentation; Yeast Pee (Alcohol) Yeast Farts (Co2). Seeing bubbles on the surface doesn't tell you much, Gustavo and Sclabrl nailed it take a couple readings and you'll know for sure.

I'm only on my 5th batch but just got a refractometer this week. $37 on amazon. If you don't have a hydrometer I would consider just going to this. Only takes a few drops to test as opposes to about 3oz for the hydro.

Once fermentation is happening and there's both alcohol and co2 present it's not accurate for taking readings to see where it's at. There are conversion charts out there, but I don't trust them all that much.

Hydrometers are cheap and accurate. Buy one and use it.

Bubbles, no bubbles... these mean absolutely nothing.

As an aside, you might want to leave your beer in primary for a while longer, even if the gravity readings are stable. Most of the pros here advise that you give three weeks in primary - this gives the yeast time to clean up after themselves, giving you better beer.

Revvy,
I trust your judgement but just wondering if you know of any studies or proofs on this subject?
I did it with two batches this week and by hydrometer matched my adjusted refractometer reading using the beersmith calculator.
This is an very small sample, so would be interested to see if anyone has done anything larger.

Back