Just bought a cut keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouBrew2

Reaction score
I may have made a mistake by this:
I bought a keg today that has had that top cut off... including the rim and handles. Is this going to be hard to work around? Will it be worth completely converting (false bottom and all)? I guess that I could get someone to weld some handles on it.
Thanks in advance!

I presume that the only reason why I would need to pick it up is to dump the grains. Does that sound right?

I like it.

I always assumed the top "skirt" was needed because it adds a lot of strength to the kettle.

Is it at all flimsy without the top?

The skirt collects all sorts of stuff (Grain, drips, etc) and is a general pain. It adds weight, makes the keggles about 3" taller than needed and makes it almost impossible to pour anything out of them.

I'd like it but I thought I read that they are pretty flimsy cut like that... Is it true?

BTW... Welcome to HBT.

Ed

Thanks Ed! I've learned so much already and I'm stoked on putting everything together to start my first AG!
Regarding the cut, it's definitely sturdy. Here in a couple weeks, I'll post an update on how the day went.

I'd use it, just file the top rim down so it's not sharp. It might deform over time (I've heard of that happening).

If was mine, I'd sell it off and buy one with the rim tho. I like the rims on mine (helps contain the boilover!)

Thanks for the pic.

Back