Side by Side Fridge/Freezer Fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bolus14

Reaction score
I'm sure if I searched I could find the answer to this, but I need a quick answer since someone I know needs to know if I want their old fridge by tomorrow.

It's a side by side, inside dimensions of the fridge section is 56.5 inches high and 17.5 inches wide. The freezer section is only 10.5 inches wide so not wide enough for a 5 gal bucket. I use 6.5 gallon plastic buckets for my primary's and if/when I do secondary's I use 5 gallon glass carboys. I was thinking of using the freezer section for bottle carbing and aging, or possibly a "kegerator" down the road. I would like to be able to put two fermenters in the fridge section at the same time, one on the bottom and another above using the glass shelf with a .25in piece of plywood on top of it to separate the fermenters.

What are thoughts on putting a fermenter on a shelf in the fridge, is it too heavy is my main concern? Does anybody have a good source or experience dealing with the thermostats in this type of setup? I would like to be able to control the fridge side for fermenting, mostly ales that would need 65 -75 degrees, but would like to be able to do some bocks/doppelbocks as well, and the freezer around 55 - 70 degrees. The fridge would be in my garage that doesn't have any insulation in upstate NY, so winters get cold, sometimes in single digits and in the summer it can be over 90.

i've put full carboys on a towel-covered glass shelf many many times in my upright with no issues. weight is not an issue, but the weight on the glass most certainly is. the plywood is a good idea, but i live life on the edge. :cross:

Latest posts

Back