Holy City Notorious P.I.G. Chocolate Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephonovich

Reaction score
I visited Holy City today and grabbed a growler full of their Chocolate variety of Notorious P.I.G., their bacon porter. It's awesome stuff.

Here's their page about it. And, this is what I know about it:

Grains include Pale Malt, C20, C60, Munich, and Carafa II. Hops are Northern Brewer, with IBUs in the 20s. This all comes from the normal, non-chocolate version of the beer. Now, the ABV of the normal stuff is 5.5%. The chocolate version ups that to 6.2%, with no mention of different grains. Either they added more grain (chocolate malt comes to mind, of course, although they already add cocoa), or something else to up the fermentables. I'm thinking lactose, which would account for the smoothness.

This is what I threw together in Beersmith. Any thoughts?

7# 2 Row
1# Carafa II
1# C20
1# C60
1# Munich
0.5# Lactose
1 oz. Northern Brewer @ 60 Min
S-04

Mash @ 152 F for 60 Min

OG 1.060
FG 1.013
ABV 6.2%
27 IBUs

The website describes being dry, um, baconed with bacon and cocoa, so I'd come up with some way of doing that. Again, their website mentions that so long as your keg is drawing from the bottom, the fat should float on top and not affect head retention. The growler I got certainly has no problem foaming.

Back