Hop Bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It won't hold pellet hops....use a 5 gallon paint strainer bag from Home Depot or Lowes.....They are about .99 cents each....the best thing you can get.

What Buckeyebrewer said. The mesh of the cotton/muslin "gym sock" grain steeping bags is too coarse to hold pellet hops. Paint straining bags work great. I use the 1 gallon paint strainers for dry hopping. They're big enough hold the hops, a few sanitized marbles (for weight) and still get a knot on top. Tie a piece of string or dental floss to the bag and suspend it in the middle of your carboy or bucket.

What Buckeyebrewer said. The mesh of the cotton/muslin "gym sock" grain steeping bags is too coarse to hold pellet hops. Paint straining bags work great. I use the 1 gallon paint strainers for dry hopping. They're big enough hold the hops, a few sanitized marbles (for weight) and still get a knot on top. Tie a piece of string or dental floss to the bag and suspend it in the middle of your carboy or bucket.

How important is the suspension? I ask because I just added a bag, with no weight, and it is floating. I just figured Brownian motion would take care of things in the coming week..:confused:

Yea I used the reuseable hop bag but it is so hard to get the bad clean. I want something cheap so I just throw it out after my boil. So I will give the painter bag a try.

Back