Malt Conditioning... WOW it rocks!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mill dust spread about the brew room could also be a source of contamination when brewing/bottling/transfering beer

It significantly cuts down on dust when I'm milling. Don't need to clean the mill at all. That alone is worth it for me.

How do you accomplish that? When I condition, that's when I need to clean my mill. The rollers get caked with moist grain. I think I've been using 2% of the grain bill weight in water. Tips?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

How long are waiting between conditioning and milling?

Maybe you're not mixing well enough?

I wait a couple hours and the grain feels dry to the touch.

Less than 30 minutes. I'll have to try adding some time between conditioning and milling and see if that helps. Thanks!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

Holy ****e! I just tried malt conditioning last weekend after having some slow recirculation in my HERMS. It was FANTASTIC!. I used a mill gap of 0.030" and used 2% by weight water mixed into the malt with about a 15 minute rest before crushing. I would HIGHLY recommend trying this!! I had around 93% conversion efficiency, which is near my highest achieved, AND I had excellent recirculation. I think I might try to go to 0.025" mill gap and see if I can get a little better conversion efficiency.

Latest posts

Back