Can't get my hands on a kombucha

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darksnail

Reaction score
i live in israel and no one sell bottled kombucha
i cant find it
tried to order it online but there is problems in the mail
so my question is how do i make a scoby from scrach without any kombucha ?

so i need to make a yeast starter and leave it outside for few months not covered ?

that looks like it could be one way... maybe cover with a cloth to keep dust out but let yeast & bacteria in....
or you could maybe just make a sweet tea and inoculate with a yeast/bug blend meant for making sour ales, if you have access to such...

You want Peddio, Brett, Lacto, Aceto, etc.

so how do i get it ?
i so something called ginger bug is it the same ?
sorry i am a newbie

Do you have any friends or relatives traveling back to Israel from the US or someplace that does sell bottled Kombucha? Starting with proper mix of bugs/yeast is always easiest. Next easiest would be to try to a sour ale yeast/bug blend like I pointed out above. A decently stocked homebrew store should be able to get some...

Failing all of that, you can do the "from scratch" thing. It may take a couple of months, as in that other thread I pointed to, and the results will be unpredictable, but it might work. I've never done it. There might be better instructions for starting a wild SCOBY online (google is your friend) but here's how I might go about it:

Make a gallon or so of black tea and cool to room temp, add some sugar and cover loosely with a dish towel. This should keep out dust but let wild bacteria and yeast in. Maybe stir it everyday and smell/taste to see if it's changing. Ideally you'll want the wild yeast and bacteria to take over before any mold starts to grow. Let it go a week or 2. Drain off the spent tea except for a cup or two and add new tea and sugar. You may need to do this 2 or three times. You'll hopefully end up with a gelatinous mass that floats on the surface, that's your SCOBY.

You might be able to speed it up by putting a freshly picked and unwashed piece of fruit in the tea. Like a plum or apple or grapes... There are wild yeast on the fruit. Heck, even a pinch of bread yeast or brewing yeast might work. Maybe spoonful of sour dough bread starter or live culture yogurt for some lactobacillus, or even raw wheat. Perhaps a table spoon of unfiltered apple cider vinegar for the acetobacter.

Actually, now that I think about it, your ginger bug might work, too. Brew up some strong black tea, add sugar, cool it and add your some of your ginger bug.

It may take some experimenting to get the right combination of Sacc, Lacto, Aceto, etc. Especially from wild sources.

Keep notes, and then come back here and tell us how it worked!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCOBY

wow thanks !! i will try my best
and no friends from usa unfortunately
question and if i add sauerkraut water to the tea ? will it help ?

I wouldn't go overboard with sauerkraut, vinegar, or sourdough starter... maybe just a spoonful. You might have better luck with the ginger bug, depending what's in it. You want a mix of bacteria and yeast. The sugar gives them food, the tannic acid in the tea keeps the Ph low.

Like I said, I've never done anything like this before.... I'm just guessing. I've only made Kombucha a few times, myself. With a fresh, healthy SCOBY that was given to me, no less.

So definitely report back with your success or failure... And don't be afraid to let it go few iteratios of tea & sugar to build up your scoby....

3dK2x6q.jpg
how does it look

I made sweet green tea (this is what i had) added some yeast with sauerkraut water after few days i added a piece of apple and just now the ginger bug and it is sitting in the outside... any other adives ?
should i make a new tea and add to the mixture ? cause its been like a week now since i started it

You might want to give this 1st batch a couple of weeks. Then carefully pour off most of the tea (keep maybe a cup or 2). Try to keep any gelatinous globs that may have formed. Add new tea and sugar and let it go.

Once you get your colony started you'll only need to ferment a week or so, to taste. Longer means more tartness.

yeah i just made another batch and it taste fine i guess made a second fermentation and it was great !
the size of a 2 gallon jar big enough
well u can make a scoby from scratch !

Latest posts

Back