Tart and Funky Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I recall a fully fermented Saison (typically dry) is blended w a very sour and also highly attenuated (made w/out pedio to avoid any possible ropiness issues). So its ready to bottle/keg right away. For bottle conditioning you probably want to consider re-yeasting for a healthy ferment. If your sour had pedio you would want to be aware it could go through the sick phase again in which case you would need to wait it out.

Oh it's a LAB sour. Just read the last few posts and thought it was a pedio sour. Gotcha.

Yes Lactic Acid producing Bacteria. So its a lacto only sour not a LAB only sour. At least thats how I understand it.

but pedio is a LAB... :confused:

Oh it's a LAB sour. Just read the last few posts and thought it was a pedio sour. Gotcha.

Pedio is definitely present in some blends. Some contain lambic beer. I don't know about theirs in particular but there are definitely commercial examples of fresh saison blended with beers containing Pedio. I have personally done this as well.

Pedio is definitely present in some blends. Some contain lambic beer. I don't know about theirs in particular but there are definitely commercial examples of fresh saison blended with beers containing Pedio. I have personally done this as well.

I think the confusion/discussion was simply what the definition of LAB was. Yes pedio could certainly also be used in saisons or other sour beers. I was referring to what I thought Council brewing was doing with their approach but I could be wrong. There was another sour talk at NHC from Toolbox brewing where they stressed not using pedio so the acid beer could be made more quickly and avoid the ropey issue in general. But to be honest the two talks have run together in my feeble mind so I cant recall which was which. They should be on the AHA website somewhere.

I'll be blending a 1 year old sacc/brett/lacto/pedio beer w s lacto/sacc beer this weekend so it'll be interesting to see how that goes. Plan is to dry hop for a week then keg and keep cold.

I think the confusion/discussion was simply what the definition of LAB was. Yes pedio could certainly also be used in saisons or other sour beers. I was referring to what I thought Council brewing was doing with their approach but I could be wrong. There was another sour talk at NHC from Toolbox brewing where they stressed not using pedio so the acid beer could be made more quickly and avoid the ropey issue in general. But to be honest the two talks have run together in my feeble mind so I cant recall which was which. They should be on the AHA website somewhere.

I'll be blending a 1 year old sacc/brett/lacto/pedio beer w s lacto/sacc beer this weekend so it'll be interesting to see how that goes. Plan is to dry hop for a week then keg and keep cold.

Ahhh my bad! Yeah council may not be doing anything with Pedio you could be right.

I just brewed my Vieille Saison a couple weeks ago. I usually pitch saison yeast and some commercial blend then let is sit 8-12 months before I blend it in with fresh beer.

Back