Hello From the South Side of Chicago

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean0301

Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Sean and I have been brewing off and on for about 12 years now. I started years ago with Mr. Beer and then got out of it for a while.
In the last few years I got back and started to extract brew again.

Recently I upgraded to all grain and this site has been invaluable (even without being a member). I hope to be of assistance to others on this board as all of you have been for me.

Thank you and Hello once again!

nice. That's pretty much my story as well. welcome to HBT. Where do you get your supplies?

in the city? bit of a drive that one. I get a lot of my specialty grains/odds and ends at barley and hops in glenwood. There's also kennywood brewing in crown point, in. but their hours are horrible and the prices aren't all that great.

i think midwest supplies (online) is usually cheaper than northern brewer overall for me.

By the way, you were brewing when "beer gear" was open in tinley, next to threshold music. I know it moved to Frankfort, but do you know what happened to it after that?

I used to live in Merrionette Park so to me Beverly still feels local. Plus the guys in there are VERY helpful.

Yes I remember that store. It went out of business and Bev-Art actually bought up their stock, thats how I found out about them.

I had never heard of barley and hops, I guess Ill give them a try.

welcome. 12 years of brewing, I hope I can sponge off some of your knowledge :) I was in Barley and Hops a couple weeks ago. Only looked a little at their supplies (was anxious to get to Flossmoor for dinner) but they seemed to be about on par with the LHBS I shop at up my way.

the selection isn't that great, but it's two minutes from where i work.

Do either of you know if they fill CO2 tanks? Its impossible finding someone close who does it. I work until 5 so the typical places like welding shops are usually closed.

Bev-Art fills them but they arent cheap and I know I am probably passing about 15 other places that do it just to get there.

Ah, Bev-Art makes good mead. Wild Blossom Meadery I think they go by. Didn't know they were a LHBS too, but I rarely make it that far south unless on my way even further south.

Welcome to HBT!

Back