Temp for yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewJr

Reaction score
Hey all, i just got a used refrigerator to use as my fermintation environment and i have kept an eye on the average temp inside of it and it seems to be staying at about 42-46 degrees, so my question is what(if any) would be a good yeast to start using for a good Lager, and my second question is, is that temp range to cold to do anything? havent started brewing yet, my kit should arrive sometime first of the year so i'm getting things setup before i start, i had to get a refrigerator because the temp in my house isnt steady at all, thanks!!

I haven't done a lager yet, but my suggestion is (especially when one starts out) is to use dry yeast. It is much less expensive and if by some slim chance you go wrong you're not out $7 or so, only $1 or $2. The quoted lager fermentation primary temperature (from Palmer) is 45-55 F. Most of the strain information that you find on yeast charts are at the lowest quoted around 46 F. So it appears you are right on the edge, but I would imagine folks have gone a bit lower than the accepted temps. You can buy a thermostat control where you dial in your temperature. They run around $50. It basically cools down to the setpoint and then when the fridge warms up by about 4 degrees or so, it kicks back in. I have one of these for my dry sausage curing fridge and it works very well.

Remember as well that the yeast activity will increase the temperature of the fermenting wort, although I am not certain how agressive Lagering yeast are vs. Ale yeast strains when it comes to this. Have you tried raising the thermostat setting on the fridge yet?

ya i have the refrigerator on the higest setting, but i just solved my whole problem, i just ordered a temp control device, it sayes i can set a range between 35-80 degrees, hated to spend the cash but it will make life easy!

BrewJr said:
ya i have the refrigerator on the higest setting, but i just solved my whole problem, i just ordered a temp control device, it sayes i can set a range between 35-80 degrees, hated to spend the cash but it will make life easy!

Yeah those things work very nicely imo. You just set all your dials to high in the fridge and let it do the rest. Also remember that it will rise 4 degrees or so before kicking in again. One other gadget that is really kinda nice to have is an Oregon Scientific remote temp jobby. I got one (has temp and humidity, which is key for dry curing sausage) and I have the base upstairs. So, I really don't have to even venture to my basement to read it. I was a little concerned that the fridge would shield/reduce the signal but it works just fine.

oh dont worry i had the wireless temp gage before i bought the fridge! i'm to damn lazy to walk over and open it up!

BrewJr said:
Hey all, i just got a used refrigerator to use as my fermintation environment and i have kept an eye on the average temp inside of it and it seems to be staying at about 42-46 degrees, so my question is what(if any) would be a good yeast to start using for a good Lager, and my second question is, is that temp range to cold to do anything? havent started brewing yet, my kit should arrive sometime first of the year so i'm getting things setup before i start, i had to get a refrigerator because the temp in my house isnt steady at all, thanks!!

Any true lager yeast should be able to do the work at that temp range, may be just a bit slower. I mostly use Wyeast 2124 Bohemian lager and it's recomended range I think 47-52. Last month my temp controller was "out of service" for some time and I fermented Octoberfest just without it. No problem. Just make sure you have a starter.

Back