5 Gal Brew Rig (ok, its just a cart...but still)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-TH-

Reaction score
Got rid of my 3 gal rig/cart and made this one instead. The cart is powder-coated steel with casters. The top is a corner work surface that I picked up for $5 at a Herman Miller factory store (love that place!). I built a partial collar to raise the top up to where I wanted it. There's a spot for the mill which I really like having on the cart. I put a hole in the table top for the grains to fall through and collect in a bucket below. I've used it a couple times now and it works great!

DSC017801.JPG

DSC01782.JPG

rig11.jpg

rig3.jpg

looks great. the casters are there. you can see the bolts on the base. looks like they are 2 inchers or something

*edit- I see them mentioned, must just be out of sight...*

Bingo! The casters are 3" dia. They really aren't as hidden as they appear to be - the angle of the photos must be just right.

on your grain mill, What did you use for a hopper?

Its a reflector from our warehouse lighting at work. It was an extra (never used) and since we replaced all the lighting with fluorescent, it was on its way to the scrap pile before I rescued it.

Looks good!

However there was a discussion in another thread about potential issues resulting from grinding grain in proximity to the rest of the brewing operation. Grinding generates some dust which is full of lacto, and if that dust has a chance to settle on cold-side equipment there is increased chance of infection.

Just something to think about . . .

BTW I quite like your water chemistry spreadsheet. Thanks for your effort on that.

Looks good!

However there was a discussion in another thread about potential issues resulting from grinding grain in proximity to the rest of the brewing operation. Grinding generates some dust which is full of lacto, and if that dust has a chance to settle on cold-side equipment there is increased chance of infection.

Just something to think about . . .

BTW I quite like your water chemistry spreadsheet. Thanks for your effort on that.

Thanks. Yeah I wondered about that but I think I'm ok for now because I don't do my cooling on the cart - I bring the kettle inside to the basement for that, far away from the cart which stays outside until it goes to the garage.

Back