Fermentor Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stanley1271

Reaction score
So I am going to start building an area (very small area) for my brewing equipment. One thing I will be building is a workbench that will have a box as part of the base that will be my fermenter box. The room I am planning on using can get up to 80+ degrees in the summer (I'm in Central Florida so it can get above 100 easily). I am thinking that I could use some Insulation like this one to help keep the temp down. Does anyone know how well something like this would work? The basic concept will be a box base made out of plywood and 2x4s and then a cheap kitchen counter for the top. Most likely Formica.

I have seen some other designs on here and elsewhere, where people have used something similar. I have seen where people have also use refrigerators to pump cold air into the case, but I am not comfortable at this point to cut into a $150.00+ device to make this happen. I have plenty of computer parts to use some fans in it if that would help.

You might do a search for 'Son of Fermentation Chiller' or something like that, its an insulated box like you're envisioning, but with a fan, a temp gauge/controller, and a place to put ice bottles.

Jim

My sig has a link to a thread that has some math that might help you figure out your insulation and cooling needs.

Awesome. Thanks for the search term. I had never heard of that one. It did give me the ideas I need to build my workbench/fermenter box. I want to have two batches going so I will probably go with something more like the 38DD version I found while researching the "son" version. Looks like the hardest part will be the temp gauge and I am not sweating that really, so this should be a nice easy build. Even for someone like me.

BTW the math hurt my brain. Guess I'll wait to do the math after I have had a few bottles. :)

Back