How full is my keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fromhereon

Reaction score
I was wondering what most of you do to determine the amount of beer left in your keg. The only accurate method I have found is to simply open the keg and look. But should I be concerned about how sanitary this is?

Thanks for any input in advance.
Dan

I just try to lift it with one finger. if it doesn't wanna move, I still have plenty of beer.

Weight the keg empty to get a tare weight for your keg.

Fill with beer, then drink some. Now weight it again, subtract the tare weight and the difference will be how many pounds of beer you have left.

A gallon of water water is abouty 8.35 Lbs.

Now the discussion of how beer weighs more than water and the temp of the beer and how far above sea level you are. Yes these things all effect the actual volume, but I would hope you don't need to be that exact.

If you really care you could multiply 8.35 by your FG you get the exact weight of one gallon of your beer at sea level at 60 degrees.

In the end this will give you a very close approximation of the beer left in your keg.

I have been thinking about rigging up a scale to stay permently under my keg to I can get the weight without moving it at all.

I am not kegging yet but I am hoping that I will always have a back up so that when one keg is cashed then I can just swap out hence I won't worry about how much is left...

There is a thread here somewhere with a tech guy who has scales under all his kegs. I think it reports percentage beer remaining to his website (or maybe that was what he was shooting for)

MS SLim... yeah... that is why I bought 8 kegs. I always seem to have empties though! I think there is an equation in physics that defines the law of beer consumption for home brewers as the larger the INTENDED pipeline, the more beer one drinks.

Open the fridge door (or remove the keg) for a few minutes. Condensation will form faster on the full part of the keg than the empty part. There's usually a very distinct difference in condensation that makes it easy to see where the beer level is.

i never try this one but it is veary Logical .

take a Paper and Writing by the amount of glasses and then you can calculate how much beer stays or left :)

i never try this one but it is veary Logical .

take a Paper and Writing by the amount of glasses and then you can calculate how much beer stays or left :)

That is how I do it, I mark the chalkboard above the taps for every glass, and that lets me know when it is close to being empty.

I do it the way Yuri was talking about, it seems to work just fine. I also like to mark it with Blue tape and date it just to see where i'm at.

That is how I do it, I mark the chalkboard above the taps for every glass, and that lets me know when it is close to being empty.

did you mark the calender when the mrs got nocked up too? don't you like surprises? i mean hell, you pull a pint. a friend comes over.

"say is that your RIS?"
"yes, grab one!"
pssssshh. "noooo! it's dead!"
"what!?! oh, sorry. you'll have to make due with 4 oz's"

did you mark the calender when the mrs got nocked up too? don't you like surprises? i mean hell, you pull a pint. a friend comes over.

"say is that your RIS?"
"yes, grab one!"
pssssshh. "noooo! it's dead!"
"what!?! oh, sorry. you'll have to make due with 4 oz's"

Nope, I don't like surprises, You bet the calender is marked for when I know better than to get the SWMBO knocked up. That would so cut into my brewing money.

Nope, I don't like surprises, You bet the calender is marked for when I know better than to get the SWMBO knocked up. That would so cut into my brewing money.
You know you're a brewer, when...

...you meticulously keep track of your wife's ovulation cycle, motivated by your fear that having a kid will adversely affect your homebrewing opportunities.

You know you're a brewer, when...

...you meticulously keep track of your wife's ovulation cycle, motivated by your fear that having a kid will adversely affect your homebrewing opportunities.

I like it, I may have a shirt made up with that. LOL:mug:

Back