Re-hydrating Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rehydrate with water at an initial temperature of 85° F. During the 20 minutes of "resting," and 30 minutes of stirring, it cools down to match the ambient air temperature (around 70° F), which is well within 10° of the wort it's being pitched into (62 - 68° F).

For lagers, I build a big starter (I'm making one tonight, actually, 5 quarts), put it on the stir plate for 2 days, then cold crash it. On brew day, once I start the boil, I take it out of the fridge and let it gently warm up a little while I finish brewing. By the time the wort is ready and chilled down to 50° F (easily achievable with my wort chiller and tap water at this time of year), the yeast has warmed up slightly (but not fully to room temperature). I decant the spent wort, swirl up the slurry, and pitch it; again, within 10° of the wort temperature.

Back