"48 hour mead" updates

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aelfwyn

Reaction score
Thought I'd better take this into its own thread, rather than clog up the 'easy recipie' thread.

Here's the recipie I found, and that I'm following with this experiment:

Original recipe (Digbie, p. 124):

Take nine pints of warm fountain water, and dissolve in it one point of pure white honey, by laving it therein , till it be dissolved. Then boil it gently , skimming it all the while, till all the scum be perfectly scummed off; and after that boil it a little longer, peradventure a quarter of ah hour. In all it will require two or three hours boiling, so at least one third part may be consumed. About a quarter of an hour before you cease boiling, and take it from the fire, put to it a little spoonful of cleansed and sliced Ginger; and almost half as much of the thin yellow rind of Orange, when you are even ready t take it from the fire, so as the Orange boil only one walm in it. Then pour it into a well glassed strong deep great Gally-pot, and let it stand so, till it be almost cold, that it be scarce Luke-warm. Then put into it a little silver spoonful of pure Ale-yeast and work it together with a Ladle to make it ferment: as soon as it beginneth to do so, cover it close with a fit cover, and put a thick dubbled woollen cloth about it. Cast all things so that this may be done when you are going to bed.

Next morning when you rise, you will find the barm gathered all together in the middle; scum it clen off with a silver spoon and a feather, and bottle up the Liquor, stopping it very close. It will be ready to drink in two or three days, but is will keep well a month or two. It will from the first, very quick and pleasant.

Master Robyyan's recipe:

Add one. pound of honey to 5 quarts of water, bring the mixture to a simmer and skim the foam as it rises, until there is no more foam, approximately 30 minutes. (Aelfwyn: though boiling the honey isn;t necessary.. ) Add approx. 2 tbsp. coarsely chopped fresh ginger, the juice of one lemon, and 8 cloves, stuck into the lemon peel for easy removal. Boil for 15 minutes, then remove from the heat and cool to lukewarm. Place the wort in a jug, straining the ginger and lemon pieces out. Add 1/4 tsp. ale yeast, and fit a fermentation lock.

After 48 hours, bottle and store at room temperature. After 48 hours in the bottle, refrigerate.

OK, so it's not exactly 48 hours, but near enough....

Now I have no way of working out alcohol content (I have a hydrometer ordered, but it's not arrived yet) so I can't figure that out just yet.

I am now well over halfway through the fermentation time (16 hours or so to go), and though I've had no bubbles in my airlock, I can see it's been bubbling quite nicely, and in fact, is still bubbling. There was a very nice cap to it about seven hours ago, and now the froth's subsided, but I can still see small bubbles rising up. It's a wierd colour, though. Though that may just be the honey I used - I used a different brand than last time. Racking it off tomorrow, so I'll nab a quick swill while I'm doing so, and see how it tastes.

So far, so good....:mug:

Interesting. It makes sense, since these recipes use much less honey (25-35%) than typical modern recipes which cuts the osmotic pressure and the yeast pitch is very high. The ABV would be around 4%. I suspect part of the color is just the suspended yeast.

Thanks David! I'm looking forward to tasting it.

Fire_travels - I have NO idea! lol! Mebbe it's the celt in me coming out in my writing....:drunk:

Just finished siphoning it, and had a quick taste. Got a bit of a 'young mead' taste to it, but then again, it still needs to settle for 48 hours, but.....that....tastes....REALLY nice! It's subtle, but the ginger and lemon juice help give it that little kick. Looking forward to seeing how it tastes on monday. Want more....now....

*rubs hands together* Time for the taste test!! *runs off to pour a glass*

*comes straight back*

Err....should it BE fizzing that much??? Just opened the lid and it nearly fizzed all over...

when you were fermenting it did you use an airlock to vent the CO2? I know when I racked mine to a secondary it was pretty well carbonated even with an airlock. I was kinda shocked at the amount of CO2 is absorbed

does mead need degassing like wine?

maybe thats it...

Good luck, if it turns out well I'm thinking of doing this.....seems interesting!

Sounds like it was still fermenting hard when you bottled. Mead normally takes so long to ferment, that there is very little gas in it. If I run a batch, I'll de-gas before bottling.

Pumbaa - yeah, I used an airlock.

David - hmm, that could be it. Might try leaving it for a couple of days with an air-lock in, see if that helps. Now the question is - how do I get an airlock in without the whole lot going everywhere? lol!

Perhaps in order to save some of the sweetness of the honey, the fermentation needs to be arrested before it works on all the sugar. Even at a low OG, honey will probably still bubble for a few days. To do the "48 hour" thing I think it needs to be cold stabilized, crushed campden, and racked off the yeast. How was the taste though? Decent?

perhaps I should just shut up and do one myself :p

mike

For the short amount of time this was allowed to ferment before bottling, I'm not surprized that its fizzy. Most of the quick meads I've done have had some degree of carbonation, I learned the hard way:1) make only as much as you can store in the fridge. 2) Bottle in plastic, leave lots of headspace and compress the bottle a bit before capping. 3) After a few days, put it in the fridge and keep it there. 4) Drink it fast.

A one gallon batch will fill 2-2L plastic bottles, or 4-1L bottles, and I know that will fit in my fridge. I spent one night (9-10 years ago) cleaning glass and mead from floors and walls of my laundry room, I won't do that again.

Mike - it tasted looooooooverly! :D Shame I've got a 2-litre bottle I can't drink now, unless I find some way of releasing the gas. Standing it in a big jug and letting it overflow into it might be the only way.

Actually, I have to admit - there was a party going on the night this batch was bottled - we went through 2 liters!

Next time I do this, I'll stabilze it like Mike says before racking off.

Nan - ouch! Not fun!

Ah, I don't think I left enough headspace, either.

Drinking it fast is NO problem....I live in a house with four other students.....;)

I was pondering this, and I think perhaps using bread yeast might be a way to limit the chances of renewed ferments. The reason the ancient orange recipe is "quick" is partially due to the yeast, which tops out at 6-8% alc. If you used bread yeast in this recipe, you might be able to achieve the same alc content you were going for, with less possibility that the yeast would start up again and explode violently, sending razor sharp glass shards into your eyes :p I don't know how fast it will act though, it might not make the "48 hour" deadline. But hey, a mead thats done in a week or two is still better than one that's undrinkable before one year. :)

btw, i'm starting up mine tonight. And for all this talk, i'm using lalvin d-47 :p

mike

Okay, I'm 36 hours into the ferment and it doesn't look like it's going to stop anytime soon. I don't think I'm going to make the 48 hour deadline :p oh well, a mead done in a week is still better than one done in a year.

Here's what I did:
1 lb of wildflower honey, 1.7 oz Grade A amber maple syrup, Lalvin d-47 yeast, nutrient, filtered water to make 1 gal.

Dissolved the honey in water over heat (no boil), combined must with water and shook to mix. Added 1/2 packet of yeast and nutrient (dry), and shook to mix and aerate. Stuck it in a closet with an airlock and hoped for the best.

As a side note, i cracked open a sampler bottle of a mead I've had ageing for four months...holy crap this is good! Perfect residual sweetness and a very nice alcohol kick. Two months ago this was super hot, but now its almost completely mellowed. At six months I think it can officially be considered liquid panty remover. ;)

mike

Day Six - Still fermenting

I had to stick it in the fridge for a night because the yeast were becoming stressed and producing sulfur smells. Its better now, but I'm walking a fine line. After four days the SG was only down to 1.01 from 1.025. Aelfwyn, what kind of ale yeast did you use? My wine yeast isn't eating the sugar fast enough or something. The way things are going this isn't going to be fermented dry until at least 10 days.

mike

in 48 hours, you will not have a dry mead, it will be sweet, low alcohol and fizzy. You can allow it to ferment to dry, but it will be more than 48 hours. One or the other, you can't have it all, LOL.

How much alcohol can actually be produced in 48 hours? At day four I only had 2% or so.

btw i picked up some bread yeast to try. We'll see what happens.

mike

depending on the yeast used, the available sugars and size of starter, its possible to have over 4%...a large starter with turbo yeast could do even more. The point of a 48 hour mead, though, is to have a quick beverge with some alcohol in it to make it safe to drink. Between the boiling of the water and the alcohol generated in the time taken to brew this, it would have been infinitely safer to drink than the water originally used to make the mead. Alcoholic beverages were consumed by all members of society, even children, with all meals and throughout the day. Low alcohol meads and ales were brewed in large volumes, and wines were drank when very young and sweet. You might have to drink tons of it to get loaded, but at least you didn't get parasites.

well, the sg reached 1.00, which translates to barely 3%. I gave it a test glass, and while the taste wasn't sulfury, it was very watery and there was no alcoholic notes at all. I wouldn't make this again but, all in all, I'd say this had to be done. I just couldn't take other peoples words for it. So I guess what sounds too good to be true, usually is. I'll continue to mess with quick meads, but I'm going to be counting in months instead of hours this time :p

mike

Back