Lager cold pitch questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacster

Reaction score
I'm about to do a lager, today I hope, but maybe tomorrow if the answers lean towards that.

First off, I made a starter yesterday from my WLP840 yeast. I used 1 pint of water and 1/2 cup LME and put it on a shelf at cool room temp about 67F. The yeast has been bubbling away. I've swirled it every now and then.

I was planning on doing a cold pitch this time. My last, and only, lager I pitched warm and the results were mixed, too much banana ester, but still drinkable. It didn't have the crisp taste of a lager however.

So how should I proceed? What should I do with the starter? Should I bring it down to 50F or so? I was planning on pitching the whole thing, or should I decant? Do I have enough yeast?

Can I bring my wort down to 50 slowly by placing in my cold room, after cooling down to around 70 using the usual methods of ice bath and very cold top-off water? Or does that risk infection by leaving it without yeast? Should I try to get it down to 50 in the ice bath? The tap water I'm using is already pretty cold, and I use the water straight from the tap.

I left the carboy filled with sanitizer in the cold room overnight and the temp in the carboy is 48 near the bottom. I figure with the yeast working the temp will be a bit warmer, so that should be good, right?

This will be my last chance on a lager until next winter, so I just want to get this one right. I depend on the cold outside temps, and while I want spring as much as the next person, I need it to stay cold for another 10 days!

If the fermentations is done in the starter, I would suggest putting the starter in the fridge for at least a day. It will help the yeast settle out, and then you can decant the starter beer off before pitching the slurry.
The yeast should be at the same temperature as the wort or cooler to avoid shocking the little guys (pitching right out of the fridge works fine).
Ideally, you should also have your starter fermenting under the same conditions as the beer you will brew (temperature, gravity, sugar profile).

Do I have enough yeast?

I do not think you do. Check this out: Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator

For most lagers you need a couple quarts plus of starter or step the starter up. A one pint starter is not really going to see much yeast growth. IMO, you have two options here:
1. Pitch warm. Make sure you aerate the wort very, very well. This will help reduce fruity esters.
2. Wait to brew and step up the starter then pitch cold.

On the other part, sometimes I just chill my wort to around 70 and then let the fridge do the rest. I let it sit over night, this does increase the chance of bacterial infection but if you are very careful in your process it should be OK.

EDIT Here is a great resource: http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Fermenting_Lagers#Cold_vs._Warm_pitching

Thanks to both of you.

I had read the wiki before I started but was still confused. I guess I'm ok with my starter if I pitch warm, or I need to increase my starter to pitch cold.

So another question. How do I step up the starter? Do I make more wort and pitch what I have into it? I have a 1/2 gallon growler which wouldn't quite be big enough for the 3L or so recommended. It is also brown so I wouldn't be able to see what's going on. Or I have gallon milk jugs. I'll see what else i can come up with. And should I keep it at 70F or 50F? Or start at 70 and bring it down before I'm ready to pitch.

I'm still at the beginner stage with the equipment, I'm not doing this enough to invest in stir plates, refrigeration, vessels, a truly large pot, or best of all some kegs. (I'd go for the kegs if I have the money.)

I can wait, but I'm not sure the weather will.

I use 1 gallon glass jugs for starters. They are the ones that the LHBS sells, or you can go to the grocery store and get one for the same price full of cheap wine or apple juice.
The juice is good, go get one.:)

To step it up, let it finish fermenting, put in the fridge overnight, pour out the spent wort on top, and the dump the yeast into the new starter. (Leave a bit of the spent wort to help get the yeast up.)

I think lager starters are just fine at room temp. I like to chill and decant the spent wort before pitching. I then make sure that the yeast slurry is at the same temp. as the wort before I pitch.

Another good reference:
Fourteen Essential Questions About Yeast Starters

I went to the store and bought apple juice in a gallon jug amongst other things, and the checkout put the jug on the rack under the cart, which didn't make into the car.

As I'm going into my house I see the answer. Mr Beer!!! This was a present from a friend that just didn't know better, and it was sitting there in my hallway where I left it. I didn't know what I'd use it for, but now I know.

Ideally, you should also have your starter fermenting under the same conditions as the beer you will brew (temperature, gravity, sugar profile).

Listen to the brewstrong podcast about starters. Except for the sugar profile, that's not really true. Conditions should be optimal for yeast growth. 70F and 1.040.

I made an additional 2.5qt starter, using my Mr Beer as the vessel. I pitched the original starter in at about 70 or so. We'll see.

One thing about the Mr. Beer, the spigot will allow me to decant easily, plus the lid is made to allow air to escape, no airlock on this thing. There's a trough at the bottom where the yeast will collect.

If I let this go for 30 or so hours, will I be ready to brew? Or should I also allow time for a cold break and give it another day, but that will end up being 2 more days since I'm busy on the next evening.

And one more thing, I bought a one stroke siphon starter when I bought the batches this time. How I ever did this without one I don't know. It makes transferring everything so much easier.

Latest posts

Back