Dog Drank Starsan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PintoBean

Hailstorm Brewing Co
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Was racking my beer and my dog decided to drink out of my sanitizer bucket. It was starsan diluted to the standard 1oz per 5 gallons. Will it hurt her? She's 60lbs, probably drank a few mouthfuls.

I don't think a couple slurps will hurt her. Keep her away from the hops though.

PintoBean said:
Was racking my beer and my dog decided to drink out of my sanitizer bucket. It was starsan diluted to the standard 1oz per 5 gallons. Will it hurt her? She's 60lbs, probably drank a few mouthfuls.

Starsan is a phosphoric acid solution, no horrible cleaners or toxins in it. If it was my dog and they weren't hurting after 30 minutes, then I wouldn't sweat it. I am not a vet.

Yeah, I kinda figured it was fine. I'm anal about hops around the dogs, but wasn't paying attention to my sanitizer bucket. Guess I'll have to watch it more carefully from now on.

I believe I read on here that the owner/creator of Star-san actually drank a glass of it to prove it was safe.

Damn you and your mouth watering avatar! Haha cheers, btw how is the dog? I don't wanna even mention what mine got out of the trash today, ugh still drinking away the memory of cleaning that one up.

liquiditynerd said:
Damn you and your mouth watering avatar! Haha cheers, btw how is the dog? I don't wanna even mention what mine got out of the trash today, ugh still drinking away the memory of cleaning that one up.

Ha, she was fine, wild as ever. Speaking of getting things out of the garbage...my older dog knows how to nose the lid of the can open, he got a whole Cornish hen carcass out the other day, he had the entire thing in his mouth, but couldn't see it, but he was acting all goofy and trying to hide so I knew he had something...I practically needed jaws of life to pry that thing away from him.

Oh, and judging by your description of what your dog got out if the garbage, I'm fairly certain I know what it is, and mine has done the same.

Ha, she was fine, wild as ever. Speaking of getting things out of the garbage...my older dog knows how to nose the lid of the can open, he got a whole Cornish hen carcass out the other day, he had the entire thing in his mouth, but couldn't see it, but he was acting all goofy and trying to hide so I knew he had something...I practically needed jaws of life to pry that thing away from him.

Oh, and judging by your description of what your dog got out if the garbage, I'm fairly certain I know what it is, and mine has done the same.

That's ok. I used to have a newfie mix that could open the refrigerator. We had 3 big dogs, and he'd open the door for all of 'em. Nothing like coming home to $200 worth of empty grocery wrappers all over the house. As smart as he was, I never was able to train that dog to get me a beer.

prrriiide said:
That's ok. I used to have a newfie mix that could open the refrigerator. We had 3 big dogs, and he'd open the door for all of 'em. Nothing like coming home to $200 worth of empty grocery wrappers all over the house. As smart as he was, I never was able to train that dog to get me a beer.

Nice, thinking about that just cracks me up.

Wow im thankful this post got pushed to the top, didn't know about hops and dogs... recently just got a puppy!

Thanks Guys

Back