Hose End Charcoal Filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks go out to Evan! for this one. Ordered it from Amazon on Monday, got it yesterday. Brewed last night.

$24.00 high flow charcoal filter designed for RV use.

I suspect it will only improve my beers.

Thanks Evan!:

Filter1.jpg

Filter2.jpg

Filter4.jpg

I've used one on my RV for years. Since you also got the RV water hose, you can put it at the head end if it makes it easier. If your filter didn't include one, put a pre-screen to catch the large pieces (sand) and it'll last a lot longer. Also, remember to store it hanging vertically so it can drip dry.

For those who don't want to order online, Camping World carries them and you can usually get them at Walmart in the camping section.

Hey BM you may need to consider the wear and tear that keggle edge is going to have on the plastic ;)

the_bird said:
Hey Ed, how often you have to replace the filter on that thing?

Here's the details. It's says every 2,000 gallons which should cover at least 50 10 gallon batches with cleanup. At $16.49 for a replacement, I change mine out once a year.

Culligan RV-600 Recreational Vehicle Water Filter:

The Culligan RV-600 recreational vehicle water filter is a compact system designed to fit in your recreational vehicle or boat. The Culligan RV600 RV filter is a disposable water filter. The Culligan RV-600 filter removes contaminants from your drinking and cooking water. The Culligan RV-600 RV water filter reduces chlorine taste and odor, bad taste and odor, and sediment from your drinking water. The Culligan RV-600 water filter cartridge lasts up to 2000 gallons and is easy to replace with a new RV-600 filter or a Culligan RV-500 filter. The life of the filter also depends on the amount of water used and the amount of contaminants in your drinking water. The Culligan RV-600 has a maximum flow rate of 3 gallons per minute. The Culligan RV-600 has 3/4" hose fittings.

EdWort said:
Where've you been Kevin? I've posted this a few times over the year.

rv-600.jpg

$19.95 and the replacement filter is only $16.49

http://www.waterfilters.net/culligan/RV/Culligan-RV-600.htm
Guess I need to spend more time no here... :cross:

PL - This one did come with a prescreen filter. I've already screwed in a hanger on my shop sink back splash to hang this puppy.

Would either of those work with as a filter for well water? I have never had the water tested so I dont know how bad it is, but it seems to run clear. LOL

Sherpa FE said:
Would either of those work with as a filter for well water? I have never had the water tested so I dont know how bad it is, but it seems to run clear. LOL
I'm using to rid my water of chlorine. If yours is coming straight from the well and not chlorinated, there might be some benefites but I'd investigate further.

i bought that same one at walmart a week ago for around $18. i have one question for you guys. whenever i first turn the water on, a slight gush of black water comes out, i'm assuming from the charcoal. is it a bad filter or is this just normal. if so, does it go away after a few uses or do i just need to let it run a few seconds before filling my brew pot?

jct9335 said:
i bought that same one at walmart a week ago for around $18. i have one question for you guys. whenever i first turn the water on, a slight gush of black water comes out, i'm assuming from the charcoal. is it a bad filter or is this just normal. if so, does it go away after a few uses or do i just need to let it run a few seconds before filling my brew pot?
They all do the same thing.

It's just the charcoal. Run it for 10-15 seconds before using and you're good to go.

Run it for 10 minutes when it's brand new and hang it to dry and that will stop.

Hey BM, do you have a water report?

It looks like that filter removes chlorine but I can't find anything about removing chloramines. (Which the water company uses in my area)

From everything I've read it sounds like a filter like this AND Campden tablets is the way to go.

I do know that the $20 filters that Kent sells removes chloramines, but only if the output is 1.5gallons/min or less.

Hey BierMuncher, I was wondering if you were still using this filter? Have you noticed any flavor changes either good or bad since using this?

I know there is a definite difference in the taste of the club soda I make and keep on tap. So there must be a difference in the taste of the beer...though less detectable through those hops. :D

I will say that the filter has slowed to a very slow flow after 20 or so uses. I'm not sure if there is a design flaw or if that is normal. It's still usable, I just have to plan accordingly for the slower fill times.

It says that it also has a fiber filter. I bet that fiber filter is filled up with all of the stuff it is stripping out and slowing down your flow. I know my water through my fridge flows much slower when the filter needs to be replaced.

Where can you buy the "housing"? :mug:

Got mine in the appliance section at sears, over by the water heaters and softeners. You can also find them at Home Depot in the plumbing aisle. The housing runs about $35, but the replacement cartriges are cheap as can be.

I would suggest buying a couple extra fittings to go with it thoughfor optimal setup. I have the 3/4" inlet model. I added the following in order of flow;
Washing machine hose
Hose fitting to 3/4" NPT-M adaptor
3/4" ball valve
3/4" x. 4" nipple (makes a good handle)
Filter housing
3/4" NPT-M to hose adaptor (this allows you to attach the other end of the WM hose and seal the unit for storage.)

Run your garden hose into the washing machine hose and have the filter be the last thing in line to avoid garden hose flavored beer.

Back