wheat ale options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg1820

Reaction score
I rarely brew wheat ales, but a friend who is no longer brewing gave me two 4-pound tubs.
Q1: most extract recipes call for wheat and barley extracts. Can the ale be restricted to just wheat?
Q2: a lot of wheat ales have various flavorings such as fruits or spices. I am considering two options: 1) plain wheat or 2) orange peel/coriander. Would plain wheat be tasteless? Coriander too overpowering?

Thanks!
Greg

I'm sure someone will chime in with a recipe for you.

Wheat extract is about 60% wheat, the rest is barley.

You can always make an IPA with it. Ever heard of a white IPA? It is one of the latest styles the seudo-craft breweries are making these says; an IPA with wheat.

There are many wheat beers that do not use fruit additions. I'd brew it straight and see the result!

I used to make a cranberry wheat, steeped a lil honey malt grain to cut the tartness some...I loved it, my wife thought was "ok to good" ... have plans/ingredients to do it again soon (after a bunch of years), thinking of going bigger (gravity wise) and adding some fresh ginger and maybe lightly oaking it....dunno 'bout the oak, although I've oaked beers before and enjoyed them. I like brewing wheats because it's a nice light base to work with, just have to not go heavy handed on anything adding flavor :)

I'm a big fan of American Wheats. Not so much the tooty-fruity, banana, estery German style. Like Calder said, there's probably already 2-row in there. You could make a nice APA or IPA type wheat beer. I have a Mosaic hopped American Wheat on tap that's very nice. 7% ABV and 70 IBU's, so a little big by BJCP standards.
:drunk:

Back