Just placed an order at my LHBS and I was only allowed 3oz of hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLW

Reaction score
becuse of the hops shortage.

I was ordering 7 oz of Centennial for an IPA and they tell me they can only sell 3 oz of any one hop becuse of the shortage.

I'm not really sure whay to substitute here maybe Columbus?

Huh. That's a new one,my LHBS just sells till they're out. Any of the "C" hops would do,since they're all pretty much floral/citrus. Even Sorachi Ace,with it's strong lemon flavors. And three Floyd's & DFH also use Warrior. Summit dwarf sounds good too,with orange,tangerine,& grapefruit notes.

Cascade was the other on I was trying to think of.

I am definately going to start growing my own hops.

I'd go a bulk or semi-bulk online hop distributor. If you want 7oz of Centennial pick up a whole pound instead, and sub out any extra for bittering hops in other brews (or make more IPA/APAs)!

I'd go a bulk or semi-bulk online hop distributor. If you want 7oz of Centennial pick up a whole pound instead, and sub out any extra for bittering hops in other brews (or make more IPA/APAs)!

I think I may do that. The order has been placed already so maybe I need to make that investment. I brew a lot of IPA/APA's so I don;t think they would sit around too long.

Update: LHBS substituted hop pellets with whole hops. I haven't brewed with whole hops yet so this will be something new.

Still think I will start buying in bulk.

I will also recommend http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com They are a Vendor here and nothing short of AWESOME to work with. (I screwed up an order 1 time and sent them a PM here, got a reply superfast and all issues were fixed with no grief.) ships fast to!

I may try hops direct in the future but FHBS > LHBS! (BTW Steelers77 feel free to use that if you like...)

GL!

I like supporting the local guy but sometimes it's frustrating with them not having everything you want. This hops thing is the latest.

My saison I wanted to brew with Wyeast 3711 and they do not carry any Wyeast products. That pushed my scheduled brew day way back beacuse I had to order on line and wait for shipping.

IMO First thing I would do is find another retailer. Exactly what I did when yo had to buy an entire recipe worth of supplies to get any hops at all a year or so ago. Shortages now occur any time the supplier runs out.

Back