Beer Criticism

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shattstar03

Reaction score
Not sure if this thread belongs in this section but I'm putting it because I'm a newbie.

I learned how to brew a few months ago and just completed a red ale, I offered the beer to a few friends and they said it tasted great. The only criticism I received was that it was a bit weak but overall it was a good first beer.

However, I took the beer to a friend who actually taught me how to brew and he called it the worst beer he ever had. He said, he wouldn't drink it again if I paid him to drink it (and he was serious). He complained the beer had a effervescent smell and it was over-carbonated. He somewhat insinuated that I toss the beer out because it might contaminated (He also brewed his own version of the red, same ingredients etc and he said his beer came out the best he ever had).

My beer is not sour, I didn't notice any off-flavors nor did anyone else who tried my beer. I thought the aroma was a product of dry-hopped centennials, he thought that my beer might've been contaminated because there were some yeast rafts. There was no fungus or anything in my carboy, everything was as clean as a preacher's sheets.

Not going to lie, I was pretty hurt by the criticism, perhaps I'm venting out. So my questions are and rather basic:

How did you guys take your first criticism of your beer? How do you respond to someone who completely trashes your beer? Has it happened to you? Should I be worried to offer someone else my beer, such as a professor or a colleague?

In what ways, do you determine whether or not your beer is good or bad? Thanks a lot guys.

If you like it, drink it. Find some others who homebrew and offer it to them to taste/critique.
Honest feedback is good but when people just complain and offer no helpful comments, they're just being a prick.
He should probably say something like "It's a little ________, if you want to improve that, then you might want to try _________." That would be constructive.

I'd sprinkle him with irish moss and see if he would clarify his critique...

I made the Frankenstein of all beers, over pitched, totally used to many oats, and just overall made a mess of things. It was a red ale too. Everyone, including me, loved it though. I got shafted by a few folks on here who didn't even have to taste it to tell me it's absolute garbage. Screw em man!!! Bottoms UUUUUUUUUP.

I'd probably discount his criticism based on the 'effervescent smell' bit. If you like it and your other friends like it, what does it matter what someone else has to say?

i wouldn't worry about what he said. sometimes people can't bring themselves to compliment someone they have taught to do something. i welcome criticism but i don't worry about it too much if at all.

Your friend sounds like an over-dramatic ass. Did you try his red ale brewed with the same ingredients? What did you think?

If you like your beer then who cares what others think.

My first batch was really bad. I took it to a beer sharing club at a local bottle shop (craft beer mostly). The president of our local homebrew club happened to be there. I brought the beer because my friend convinced me, even though it wasn't very good. It was my first beer, he said, and I should just share it anyway. So I did...

I already knew the beer was bad. It wasn't infected, I just didn't control the temperature enough. As I poured it, I made it clear that the beer wasn't very good, and took my criticisms like a man. I got a few pointers out of the situation. All in all, no one was really a dick to me. If anything, I may have earned some respect... I mean, these guys are all craft beer snobs.

Sounds like your friend is a bit of a dick. Of course, there's nothing you can do about that short of not letting him taste your beer. You don't want to do that though because he at least gives you honest feedback. Instead, figure out what you could do better. Temperature control is a good start. After that, use a good, fresh yeast. You don't want to be overly critical of your own beer, but you also want to be honest to yourself about it.

My problem is, I am overly critical of my beer. That's something I need to work on!

If you want honest feedback, get a BJCP-certified judge to try your beer. Enter it in a comp or track down a judge and ask for some feedback.

I wouldn't take some random brewer's critiques too seriously, a lot of us are *****ebags. ;)

Thanks a lot guys, those comments really helped me out a lot! :)

Its tough when you brew with some passion, love, and someone has to tastelessly bash your beer (your hard work!) by saying its garbage.

You guys are awesome, thanks for the support .. Bottoms up!

Agree with everyone else, CONSTRUCTIVE criticism or nothing at all. Maybe you simplified your story but it didn't even appear that he was interested in getting to the root of the problem.

I have the opposite issue, my wife usually tries my beer first. No matter what its "amazing," even when I served her a completely uncarbonated one! And no matter what I brew, from a stout to an ale, it tastes like her favorite beer (hoegaarden)

I end up going blind into every situation where someone tastes my beer.

It's the same with commercial beers (craft or otherwise.) Some live 'em, some hate 'em. If you're in the first group, forget the latter.

We always serve our beer with a nod to the fact that we screwed a couple things up...a recent favorite of mine was our "Could've Been Better Bitter." it was fine, but it could've been better!

The way I see it. It's your brew, Brew for you. if you like it that's really all that matters in the end.

It's hard to tell since none of us have tasted it. The folks who suggest you find a beer judge, or some experienced brewers who are neutral, or even the folks at a homebrewshop if you trust them, to critique it, are correct.

There are a few scenarios at play here, the first one is that the beer is fantastic, you nailed a good beer on your first try and he is jealous. The student usurps the master scenario.

Your beer is good, but he wouldn't know a good beer if it bit him on the a$$.

Your beer indeed does suck, but he's not good enough of a teacher to help you figure out why. Rather than offer constructive criticism all he has is criticism.

I know it's your first baby and like anyone anything negative hurts, but it's not a baby, it's just a beer, and if you stay in the hobby it is gonna be just one of many, some homeruns, some strikeouts, but nothing so much more than just pee in a toilet at the end.

Go find some folks with some experience and enough know how to really give you a handle on how to improve your batches. And to truly tell you what's going on with this one. And if they are brutal, but helpful, thank them, and learn from them, and move on to your next batch.

Either your mate was just trying to wind you up, or he's being a dick. Unless, for example, he managed to control initial fermentation temperatures perfectly and you, somehow, managed to allow fermentation temps to go way too high. You were both using the same ingredients/recipe, weren't you?

Effervescent smell? What did he do? Snort it? Sounds like he's up his own arse just a bit too far and/or he needs to justify himself, to himself, by making you feel inferior.

My first brew, a couple of months back so I'm a bit green in this hobby too, was totally FUBAR in the fermentation temps. Side of things. My initial thoughts were it'd be absolutely hideous. everybody that's tasted it has said it "tastes like beer". I seem to be the only one that thinks it tastes fowl.:confused: Sometimes being over complimented can be even more perturbing than being slated:D So maybe your sensei wasn't being such a dick after all. Definitely try his beer, of the same Ilk, out and be sure to tell him it tastes just like sh1te, if that's how it tastes to you.:D

It's hard to tell since none of us have tasted it. The folks who suggest you find a beer judge, or some experienced brewers who are neutral, or even the folks at a homebrewshop if you trust them, to critique it, are correct.

There are a few scenarios at play here, the first one is that the beer is fantastic, you nailed a good beer on your first try and he is jealous. The student usurps the master scenario.

Your beer is good, but he wouldn't know a good beer if it bit him on the a$$.

Your beer indeed does suck, but he's not good enough of a teacher to help you figure out why. Rather than offer constructive criticism all he has is criticism.

I know it's your first baby and like anyone anything negative hurts, but it's not a baby, it's just a beer, and if you stay in the hobby it is gonna be just one of many, some homeruns, some strikeouts, but nothing so much more than just pee in a toilet at the end.

Go find some folks with some experience and enough know how to really give you a handle on how to improve your batches. And to truly tell you what's going on with this one. And if they are brutal, but helpful, thank them, and learn from them, and move on to your next batch.

As always, a much more level headed person has offered a far better, alternative, viewpoint on the subject.

1st - you need tough skin if you want to brew better beer and ask for feed back. Most folks that you will give the beer to will tell you it is great because they do not want to hurt your feelings and they may get more free beer out of it.

2nd - I like the idea of finding some seasoned homebrewers to taste your beer. IMO the best place to do this is to join a local homebrew club and take a few bottles to a meeting WITH THE RECIPE.

First off, congratulations on your first brew! You made it and you liked it.

We'll never know for sure what is going on without tasting your beer. For your friend to say he would never drink it again is utter *****ery IMO. If he were a friend, he would help you figure out what is wrong. His descriptions are not helpful.

The best thing to do would be to get some of this beer to a qualified taster, like a BJCP judge, or a local homebrew club. These people will tell you flat out what they taste and offer ways to improve it.

You other friends might not be able to expertly offer advice, or they may not actually tell you the truth, in order to save your feelings.

I'm sure any number of the long-time members of this site would love to give you an honest opinion of your beer. Maybe find one who is close to you and send them a bottle or two.

The best part of all of this is that you are willing to go out and find information to help you. This is a great asset that will really help you get the most out of brewing. I predict you will learn lots and in short time be brewing great beer ofter great beer.

Back