Vienna vs. Marris Otter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EarlyBirdBrew

Reaction score
I'm wondering if these two bases can produce a fairly similar beer. Here is why I ask: I brewed a pumpkin ale (minus the pumpkin) back in september with a Vienna base (partial mash, so extract made up the rest of the base) and it produced a decent beer. I was happy with it. Fast forward to February and I cook up a mild recipe with marries otter as the base (also partial mash) and tonight I tasted the first one and I found it tone remarkably similar to my pumpkin-less ale. The mild is like a way lower abv version of the pumpkin-less ale. I found it tone really disappointing because I was shooting for a much more toasty and complex flavor with the mild.

They are completely different to my tastes.

Vienna gets classified as a base malt (which makes sense because it has full enzymatic capacity), but it has a very distinctive taste: it is sometimes a bit darker than some base malts, with a rich biscuity aroma and an orange color. I find it more similar to Munich (though milder than Munich) than to standard 2-row.

Maris Otter is a much more neutral base malt. It has a nutty thing going as a result of the British kilning process, but the difference from domestic 2-row is more subtle.

Is this your first mild? I like them a lot, but many of people find them too...mild. If you post a recipe, I'm sure you'll get some feedback.

Back