Ex turkey fry pot for brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phishfood

Reaction score
I have got a turkey fryer, aluminum pot and burner, that have been used to fry turkeys in the past.

I have used these to boil rinse water in the past, but I am wondering what people's experience has been doing wort boils in used turkey fryer pots. I am concerned that the pores of the metal might still harbor grease, and would release small amounts into my beer.

I have had bad experiences trying to reuse a coffee cup after it was used for storing bacon grease. Even after multiple rinses with boiling water, it would still leave an oil slick on top of the coffee.

PS: a search located a thread on this about stainless pots, but nothing on aluminum.

I'm currently using an old turkey fry pot (aluminum). I just boiled a couple changes of water in it for an hour or two till I couldn't see a slick on top. drained alot through the tap. If you get it to the point where the water tastes fine, youre golden.

Thanks. I will probably boil some more water in it over the weekend and drain some through the tap. I hadn't thought of doing that, but I bet there is some grease hidden in there.

I fried the turkey Thursday, brewed friday.

RDHAFHBYDB

;)

Don't ask, but seriously, sanitize and relax.

And I just figured out RDWHAHB the other day, when I borrowed Papazian's book from a buddy. Now I am going to lay awake at night till I figure this new one out.

Absolutely. A bit of dish-washing detergent and some scrubbing will clean the grease right out. Follow-up with Oxi Clean/PBW.

NO DISH WASHING DETERGENT PLEASE........, 30 minutes of Boiling water and a good oxi clean / pbw soak after will do the trick. dish washing detergent has a bad habit of leaving a floral residue that some have never been able to rid themselves of after the fact. better safe than sorry kinda thing......

Dunno what detergent you use, but I certainly wouldn't use it for my utensils if it left a floral residue/aroma. :)

Dunno what detergent you use, but I certainly wouldn't use it for my utensils if it left a floral residue/aroma. :)

well, dont worry about it then, but if you get a chance, ask a professional brewer what they would do with any of their equipment that came in contact with a dishwashing liquid/soap. :mug:

Back