Brass or stainless?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnutjr

Reaction score
Just setting up a cooler conversion for a mash tun, just curious of anyone's experience or opinion on using Brass or stainless fittings? I have a stainless ball valve, but the guy gave me the wrong nipple to go between the cooler/braided hose/ball valve, would it possible to put brass or go all stainless? Any pros/cons?

thanks

This topic has been discussed to death. Here's a search: Brass vs Stainless

Brass is cheaper but does contain lead. You'll hear the argument that brass has been used in everything for ever so you're totally fine. You'll also hear that the high temps tend to leach the lead out so you're going to die.

My personal opinion is for the extra $5 why not use stainless parts

I hear ya, I have a stainless ball valve and parts, but the owner at my LHBS gave me a kettle conversion kit even tho I asked for a cooler so the stainless nipple is smaller than what I need and I have tons of brass ones here at work but I wasn't sold on using the brass. Appreciate the input! :mug:

For lead free brass (which is most stuff these days) I think the only issue is dezincification. Brass exposed to hot wort should ideally be the dezincification resistant kind. The advantage of brass other than price is that you can solder brass to copper with regular plumber's flux. But for fittings that you solder to a stainless pot or keg, I would choose stainless because the expansion coefficients will match putting less stress on the joint. Stainless also stands up to caustic cleaners better.

Latest posts

Back