Growing Hops and Grain for Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mygrain

Reaction score
Hi Friends,

I'm a newbie on the forums. Been keeping myself off the board and busy 'till I had something to share that I thought might be of general interest.

I'm a certified organic farmer. 2 years ago I planted 6 hops (3 Halertauer and 3 Cascade) which I trained up over over a pergola in our kitchen garden just to see how they would do. I'm pleased to report that we got a nice harvest last year and look forward to an even better one this year.

Problem was, I had no time, grain or facilities to brew.

This year, I scouted out some nice organic barley seed and planted about a quarter acre...an amount I could tend and harvest by hand...just to see what I could do.

Well, the grains are coming in now and I've learned a few things to do differently next year. It's early yet but I think we'll have a pretty good harvest. I should have more than a few bushels of barley to start experimenting with the malting process this fall.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my interest in growing the raw materials to make beer, thinking there might be those who are interested to try it themselves. Small acreage, organic, and hand tended means I will spend some significant time learning to harvest and refine the grain down to it's very best before attempting a brew.

With all the time and energy invested in growing and harvesting my own material, I hope you won't mind if I come back to the forum for some tips and advice on how to move ahead.

And if anyone wants to try small batch growing, I may be able to offer some helpful information on doing it yourself, without chemical inputs. It does take time and work and patience, but I find that most worthwhile things do.

Thanks!

What are you using to fertelize your hops. Mine were doing quite well for a while untill they came up with a nitrogen shortage ( splotchy dying leaves) and I had to add some miracle grow to get them going again, but i still lost most of my harvest. I have them in a raised bed with half manure/ half topsoil.

Hey Hoppymonkey -

I don't know where you are or what your natural soil is like...
I can tell you that I planted mine in a slightly acidic soil in a cool maritime climate. I'm no expert, but there is a very helpful hop growing section here in the forum.

I planted mine in a mix of native soil horse manure with some natural mineral fertilizer...KMAG (potassium and magnesium) and CalPhos (rock phosphate). The manure gave the nitrogen and the minerals supplemented our generally wet and sandy soil.

When I had a leaf blotch problem in the first year, I did several topical sprays of fish fertilizer, a diluted solution derived from composted fish processing waste. There are several commercial varieties available.

What I noticed is that the plants seemed to need time, a couple of years, to establish and become adapted and hardy.

Patience and observation may help you the most. Try something and wait awhile. Your plants may surprise you. And make sure you water well. These plants depend on lots of root growth.

this is pretty cool, I'd like to follow along on your adventure. I like the idea of self sufficiency. :mug:

p.s. pictures are always awesome and much appreciated :p

I am VERY interested in this, just planted some Hallertauer and Northern Brewer. Recently picked up and antique scythe, thinking I could harvest some grain with this.
I have been told I can get 20-30 lbs of barley for free every year, but would love to try growing my own, organically.

What I should have said, is to spray your fish fertilizer (or a diluted solution of miracle gro) directly onto the hop leaves. If you're using miracle gro, I'd want to dilute it to very low strength. Do this application in the morning on a breezy or partly sunny day so you aren't burning the leaves of the plants or promoting a fungus growth. I use a small "Olympic Deck Stain" sprayer - unused for chemicals of course - to do this. Then wait a couple of weeks.

I find that plants are able to take in more nutrients directly through their leaves, but you have to be careful with commercial chemicals not to burn your plants. For that reason I prefer the gentler, natural fertilizers.

billc68 - I see you are on PEI. So am I. Maybe we could talk?
I planted my grain with no heavy tools...just a tractor and s-tine harrows. Harvesting?
Well, I'm going to go see an old gent near Charlottetown about a 1950 vintage John Deere 12A Combine. Otherwise, it's me and the kids and some neighbors cutting with shears and threshing on the barn floor.

You can see pics and post me through my blog: dunncreekfarm.blogspot.com

billc68 - I see you are on PEI. So am I. Maybe we could talk?
I planted my grain with no heavy tools...just a tractor and s-tine harrows. Harvesting?
Well, I'm going to go see an old gent near Charlottetown about a 1950 vintage John Deere 12A Combine. Otherwise, it's me and the kids and some neighbors cutting with shears and threshing on the barn floor.

You can see pics and post me through my blog: dunncreekfarm.blogspot.com

Wow, what are teh odds, I am very interested. Would like to know more about organic farming too, I have 6-7 weeks off every summer and have lately been thinking about starting a very small scale strawberry and raspberry operation as their harvest times fall right into my vacation time (and too warm to be brewing beer) I saw a small couple of strips of grain in someone's yard along the highway one day and thought to myself "he must be a brewer" I wonder if that was you???

(Route 1, Kings County, near Pinette)

miracle gro would definately not fall under organic. the fish stuff mentioned above however would fit the bill.
That was my assumption, it would be too convenient if it was! I personally don't get hung up on organic and may in fact have to use a fungicide on my plum trees this fall but if I can go chemical free, I will. Not only is it better for me and for my land but chemicals cost money too!!!

Hey Bill,

Happy to make contact. And great that you are into brewing and into organics on PEI.
If you post your contact info to my blog, I can get it without making it public.

And no, Miracle Gro is not organic. I assumed Hoppymonkey already had some on hand and would want to use that. But I hope he'll try the other things I suggested too if he can.

Yeah, it wouldn't be my first choice for a lot of reasons...
I am a certified organic grower, but that isn't for everyone. The labels shouldn't keep you from trying and learning to grow for yourself. When you go for it, I suggest you don't overlook the greener alternatives. They work really well and the benefits are real. But the main thing is to get growing on your own. You'll have to ask yourself, "Do I really want to eat this?" before you start mixing things into your garden. The answers will generally lead you in the right direction.

Hi,

I'm also planning to grow barley / hops for brewing this year.

I'm living in New Zealand so just coming into spring. Will let you know of any hits or misses along the way.

Cheers,

Jim

Hello! I too haven't posted much on the blog either, however I am planning a similar task!

My boyfriend and I have been experimenting with growing organic hops for the past three years and so this year we are planting a quarter acre of hops and a quarter acre of barley... both organically. We are very excited to move towards learning how to create everything that goes into our brew.

We are located in New Jersey.

Great blog MyGrain - I'll keep following your progress!

Back