Golden promise saison experience?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surgical_ass

Reaction score
Looking for anyone with experience with using gp in a saison as main grain bill 80%
Thinking 80% gp 20% flaked wheat. Thoughts?

Sounds fine to me. The yeast is going to be the real determining factor in how it turns out. As long as you steer clear of using significant amounts of crystal or specialty malts, your saison will be good

Saisons are primarily defined by there qualitative attributes. Belgian yeast, blonde in color, dry. I find myself rather bored with this style and are more inclined to do something fun with it, I recently brewed one with a big Citra hop nose, and I added a half gallon of grape juice (probably too much)

Saisons are primarily defined by there qualitative attributes. Belgian yeast, blonde in color, dry. I find myself rather bored with this style and are more inclined to do something fun with it, I recently brewed one with a big Citra hop nose, and I added a half gallon of grape juice (probably too much)
Interesting. Was thinking of using an oz of galaxy at fo. Let us know how the Citra plays out. What yeast did you use? I'm thinking the 3724 strand for mine since I have the temp regulation ability

Interesting. Was thinking of using an oz of galaxy at fo. Let us know how the Citra plays out. What yeast did you use? I'm thinking the 3724 strand for mine since I have the temp regulation ability

Funny you should ask. Rose colored appearance, very very dry, fruit nose slight tart/acidic taste reminiscent of grape skins however due to the dryness, and carbonation. I used Belle Saison yeast.

image.jpg

Funny you should ask. Rose colored appearance, very very dry, fruit nose slight tart/acidic taste reminiscent of grape skins however due to the dryness, and carbonation. I used Belle Saison yeast.

Ummmmmmm. Got a rye saison in primary that has the same color in the hydro sample. Used 180l candi syrup in it. Sounds like the Citra may have come through a little in the nose?

If you are bored with the style, you arent doing it right.

golden naked oats are my favorite specialty malt. Ive used them in IPAs and Saisons even though I hate crystal type malts in those styles. You just need to limit it. I'll do 4oz of it and it turns out well. Definitely use some portion of cane sugar and select your yeast strain and fermentation profile to accentuate the fruity flavor of the malt

golden naked oats are my favorite specialty malt. Ive used them in IPAs and Saisons even though I hate crystal type malts in those styles. You just need to limit it. I'll do 4oz of it and it turns out well. Definitely use some portion of cane sugar and select your yeast strain and fermentation profile to accentuate the fruity flavor of the malt
Does it cause any haze in the saison at that amount? I see where it is described as "berry" flavored. This true? Was thinking the "berry" might be complimeted in the saison

Does it cause any haze in the saison at that amount? I see where it is described as "berry" flavored. This true? Was thinking the "berry" might be complimeted in the saison

I dont really pay attention to clarity in my saisons since Im usually using a decent amount of flaked ingredients. 4oz of golden naked oats doesnt contribute haze though IME. I do think the nutty/berry flavor is accurate. They taste like the base for a granola to me when I chew them. give me a spoon and some milk mmm.

I dont really pay attention to clarity in my saisons since Im usually using a decent amount of flaked ingredients. 4oz of golden naked oats doesnt contribute haze though IME. I do think the nutty/berry flavor is accurate. They taste like the base for a granola to me when I chew them. give me a spoon and some milk mmm.
Sounds awesome! Will have to give it a shot. Do u use dupont strain for fermentation? That is my plan. Seems that the oats flavor profile would compliment the yeast profile.

ive used the dupont strain before and its a great yeast. should work well with this recipe. I do tend to like some of the other saison strains better though

Ummmmmmm. Got a rye saison in primary that has the same color in the hydro sample. Used 180l candi syrup in it. Sounds like the Citra may have come through a little in the nose?

Sorry to digress slightly, but I am going to be working on my interpretation of a farmhouse/saison over the summer, seeing as how I am in TX, and I am thinking of adding some rye and am curious how yours is shaping up? That dry crispness sounds tasty.

Also like the idea of using a some really citrusy/piney hops for solid aroma and flavor profiles. Less on the early additions side. Not trying to be style specific, it's just what I want in a farmhouse ale.

Sorry to digress slightly, but I am going to be working on my interpretation of a farmhouse/saison over the summer, seeing as how I am in TX, and I am thinking of adding some rye and am curious how yours is shaping up? That dry crispness sounds tasty.

Also like the idea of using a some really citrusy/piney hops for solid aroma and flavor profiles. Less on the early additions side. Not trying to be style specific, it's just what I want in a farmhouse ale.
the saison is still carbing in the keg. I pulled a pint tonight to check and I couldn't be happier with it. The rye mixed with the low fg (1.003) is excellent. It plays super well with the 3711 I fermented with. I used challenger to bitter and flavor (20 min) with. The spice from the rye plays perfectly with this yeast. The yeast is a beast and is a great one of you don't have a great way to ramp up temps but I would love to do this recipe with the 3724 strand. Highly recommend rye in a saison. The dark candi syrup is a great addition in this beer for me. The color of it is outstanding. Not much if any flavor contribution that I can tell but I think it adds a great visual contribution along with the attenuation enhancement.

Rye sasion
Saison
All Grain (4.00 gal) ABV: 7.45 %
OG: 1.060 SG FG: 1.003 SG
IBUs: 28.3 IBUs Color: 20.2 SRM
By:
Ingredients

6 lb - Pilsner (2 Row) Bel
Mash addition (60.9%) - 1.6 SRM

2 lb - Rye Malt
Mash addition (20.3%) - 3.5 SRM

5.0 oz - Acid Malt
Mash addition (3.1%) - 1.8 SRM

8.8 oz - Rye, Flaked
Mash addition (5.6%) - 2.0 SRM

1 lb - Candi Sugar, Dark
Mash addition (10.1%) - 180.0 SRM

0.60 oz - Challenger
Boil 60 min (20.2 IBUs)

0.40 oz - Challenger
Boil 20 min (8.1 IBUs)

1.00 Items - Whirlfloc Tablet
Boil 15 min

1 pkg - French Saison
Wyeast Labs #3711

Mashed at 152
90 min boil
Ferment @ 68 for 24hrs then moved to 75 for the remainder (3wks)

Back