Have I busted my regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banesong

Middle Ground Brewing Company
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was attempting to use my nice new carbonator cap today to replace my DIY version, and something strange happened. I turned on the gas and heard what could best be described as a staccato popping noise. It was coming from a nub the was between the two gauges on the regulator, which I assume is a pressure relief part. Additionally, I noticed that the pressure gauge pegged to the top. After a few experiments, it seems that the screw that controls the pressure is no longer functional - every time I try to dial down the pressure, it either drops to zero or pegs to the top and off gasses out of the relief valve.

What, oh what can I do?

Some information: my tank is a 20oz paintball tank connected to an on/off valve, then connected to a 1/8 to 1/4 step adapter and then the input on the regulator. The output on the regulator is a 1/4 inch ball valve connected to a 1/4 to 3/16 hose barb which is then connected to some 3/16 beer line.

The DIY version of the carb cap used 5' of the beer line with a 3/16 hose barb to 1/4 male threaded into an air chuck. In order to use the carbonator cap I cut the line in half (approximately 2.5') and lightly heated the end of the beer line in order attach a ball lock gas disconnect. The gas still flows (I was able to push gas into the 2 liter bottle), so I think the line is not shut.

Is my regulator fried? Thanks.

T

Did you tilt the tank so liquid co2 went in the regulator? Take the regulator apart and look for damaged parts. It's not complicated inside.

Does anyone have disassembly instructions? It is a micromatic regulator.

As to allowing the liquid CO2 in, I don't think so. It did get at a bit of a tilt (not quite 45 degrees), but it had already been used multiple times at that point, so it probably was about a quarter to a third down.

Back