Hefeweizen FG unusually low....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dima3719

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post woot woot!

So I recently brewed Canadian edition of this Bavarian Hefeweizen:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=35679

Here's what I did:

- 4lbs Canadian Pilsner
- 7lbs Canadian Wheat
- 0.75oz Hallertauer (4.7%) at 45 min
- 0.25oz Hallertauer (4.7%) at 15 min
- Safbrew WB-06 Weizen

Mash temp - approx. 150F for 90 mins

OG - 1.050
F.G - 1.005

Why is my FG so low??? It's only been about 7 days and it's 1.005... Could it possibly be infected? The night that I brewed the beer I ended up majorly cracking my air-lock and was only able to get a new one the next afternoon, could there be a possibility of some wild yeast getting in or an infection? It tastes totally fine and the colour is within the range I expected it to be at. How else can I rule out infection?

Thanks guys

"How else can I rule out infection?"

Let it sit. If the gravity slowly drops and/or you start getting bad flavors, it's infected.

Of course, if it tastes fine now, just drink it. That's kinda the whole goal, right?

Hey guys, first post woot woot!

So I recently brewed Canadian edition of this Bavarian Hefeweizen:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=35679

Here's what I did:

- 4lbs Canadian Pilsner
- 7lbs Canadian Wheat
- 0.75oz Hallertauer (4.7%) at 45 min
- 0.25oz Hallertauer (4.7%) at 15 min
- Safbrew WB-06 Weizen

Mash temp - approx. 150F for 90 mins

OG - 1.050
F.G - 1.005

Why is my FG so low??? It's only been about 7 days and it's 1.005... Could it possibly be infected? The night that I brewed the beer I ended up majorly cracking my air-lock and was only able to get a new one the next afternoon, could there be a possibility of some wild yeast getting in or an infection? It tastes totally fine and the colour is within the range I expected it to be at. How else can I rule out infection?

Thanks guys

As long as your sanitation practices are solid you shouldn't have to worry about an infection from not having an airlock for that short amount of time. In fact, I and many others ferment hefeweizens using an open fermenter method. I'm bottling my hefeweizen today, after doing that.

it's been my experience that wb-06 goes a bit drier than say, wy-3068.
I wouldn't worry about infection at all

Latest posts

Back