Long mash= very low fg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spunxter

Reaction score
So topic says it. Due to single parenting my mash went 120 min instead of 60 that i intended. Temp went to about 145 from the intended 152. I batch sparge in igloo cooler. Heres my recipe : 5g

5 lb pale malt
3 lb white wheat
1 lb honey malt
1 lb oats
.25 hallertau mit. 60 min
.5 sorachi acr 60 min
3 tsp crushed corriander @10 min
1 tsp sweet orange peel

My preboil g was low due to me playing with corona mill settings so i added 2 c table sugar and got sg to 1.048. Judging by airlock activity most of the activity was done by day 3 . Waited till day 8 and my fg is 1.003. This us with wlp 051. Previous exp tells me this got infected however the smell and taste are fine. Also my unrefined palate still cant taste the spices. I doubled these from my last recipe and still cant get enough flavor to satisfy me. But my question is did the sugar and long mash take me to this 1.003 fg? Its a first for me. Also anyone else have a way to deliver the spices more potently? Dry hop them? Any advice appreciated.

Well, adding table sugar to the brew, that would all get fermented out so FG would not be helped, just abv. Too lazy to back calculate, what was the sg before the sugar? Next time, add DME instead, not a bad way to tweak OG if your mash just doesn't work like it should.

Can't help on the spices, tho.

Thx stella, idk why i never think of dme. I dont usually fall short on my expected gravity. I think that was around 1.038 before the sugar. I only ever have a lb of dme around most times. For some reason i think i used to much sparge water thus diluting my wort more then i intended also. I dont use much software to help me figure out volumes just go by old notes on previous batches and usually turn out ok.

I highly doubt you have an infection. Your primary yeast was sacc yeast. Brett would not be able to reproduce quickly enough to ferment a beer to .003 in eight days. Your long mash that drifted down to 148 plus the sugar gave you a very fermentable wort.

As to the spice it may just be light, I add .8 oz of coriander and .5 oz of dried orange peel per 5 gallons. I haven't measured by volume with a spoon but if memory serves it appeared to be far more than a tsp. My notes from my last batch indicated I should double the orange peel. And increase coriander by 50%.

Cheers:)

Yea those amounts were even double from my first attempt and it seems i may have to double them again. Ill weigh it this time and use ur amounts as a guide.

So topic says it. Due to single parenting my mash went 120 min instead of 60 that i intended. Temp went to about 145 from the intended 152. I batch sparge in igloo cooler. Heres my recipe : 5g

5 lb pale malt
3 lb white wheat
1 lb honey malt
1 lb oats
.25 hallertau mit. 60 min
.5 sorachi acr 60 min
3 tsp crushed corriander @10 min
1 tsp sweet orange peel

My preboil g was low due to me playing with corona mill settings so i added 2 c table sugar and got sg to 1.048. Judging by airlock activity most of the activity was done by day 3 . Waited till day 8 and my fg is 1.003. This us with wlp 051. Previous exp tells me this got infected however the smell and taste are fine. Also my unrefined palate still cant taste the spices. I doubled these from my last recipe and still cant get enough flavor to satisfy me. But my question is did the sugar and long mash take me to this 1.003 fg? Its a first for me. Also anyone else have a way to deliver the spices more potently? Dry hop them? Any advice appreciated.

The aroma you get from spices is from aromatic oils. I think you boiled them all away with the 10 minute addition. I'd wait until fermentation slowed or stopped to add them.

A long mash should get you a more fermentable wort but there is a limit to how the enzymes work based on temperature. I really suspect that the low temperature at the end of the fermentation may have played a role in the low FG but sometimes yeast goes beyond its predicted attenuation too.

Back