New Hops Order... ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ó Flannagáin

Reaction score
AFter reading the hops shortage thread and Evan's bulk grain order thread I decided to buy some bulks hops :mug:

Northernbrewer is THE place to get them right now, lbs of popular hops for around 10 bucks. That's a steal. The interesting thing is all these new aroma/flavor strands I've never heard of. Any ideas what I should make with these? Their descriptions sound tasty. Here's my order:

Qty 1 Chinook Pellets 1 lb.
Qty 1 Simcoe Pellets 1 lb.
Qty 3 Summit pellets 1 oz
Qty 3 Vanguard Pellets 1 oz
Qty 3 French Strisselspalt Pellets 1 oz
Qty 3 Polish Marynka Pellets 1 oz

$35 bucks

Strisselspalt:
Typical alpha: 2.0-3.5%. These authentic French Strisselspalt are just the thing for making Saison or Biere de Garde. Very mild, with aromas of black currant.

Vanguard:
Typical alpha: 5.0-7.0%. US-grown hybrid with Hallertau Mittelfruh parentage. Sweet, slightly spicy aroma and flavor.

Marynka (Polish):
Typical alpha: 3.0-4.5%. Dual-purpose hop with a highly aromatic character described as cedary, rooty, and licoricelike.

First off, I higgety-hate pellet hops. I'll use them only as a last resort. What a mess. IIWY, I'd get whole leaf hops (at least for those several pounds of simcoe and chinook) from hopsdirect. But maybe you're okay with pellets. Me, notsomuch.

I've used strisselspalt. It's very nice, subtle, old-worldy. I dry-hopped a pils with it. The other two...never heard of them.

They were all marked "new" on northernbrewer, so figured, what the hell, I'll experiment. And I've only used pellets, they don't bother me. I put a hop bag over my siphon when I'm done with my boil and it's really not a bad mess at all.

Latest posts

Back