Is PBW a soak type cleaner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linusstick

Reaction score
I have 5Star PBW cleaner. I kept reading it is a cleaner that you soak in then rinse out. On the can that I have it says "run it for 25-35 minutes". I'm not sure what it means to "run" it. I am cleaning a brewpot that I haven't used in 4 years and I am soaking it in 12oz of PBW (2oz PBW per gallon of water). Sound good?

PBW can be used to flush out lines and hosing in breweries...thus the 'run it' for 25-35 minutes reference, run it through the lines. I usually do a soak for anywhere from an hour to overnight and it works great...expensive stuff though.

PBW can be used to flush out lines and hosing in breweries...thus the 'run it' for 25-35 minutes reference, run it through the lines. I usually do a soak for anywhere from an hour to overnight and it works great...expensive stuff though.
Cool thanks! So same goes for brew kettle and carboy right? Soak both overnight?

Depends on how badly soiled they are. You might be able to get away with less time, but you're certainly not going to hurt either vessel by soaking them overnight.

Brian

You can soak fermenters overnight and usually just rinse them well the next day and they will be clean. I use PBW to clean out my buckets and better bottles with no scrubbing. As far as kettles, its fine for stainless but don't use it on aluminum, it will remove the layer of oxidation.

I was using PBW, but noticed that it was causing a rash(kind of like poison ivy) on the insides of my forearms. I now just use oxyclean and soak for an hour or two with great results.:mug:

How about a over night soak with PBW in a used ball lock keg? Should I expect any issues?

I was thinking about using my vinator to rinse my empty bottles with PBW, much like I do with StarSan. Does PBW need more contact time then StarSan? Would a vinator work in this situation?

I was using PBW, but noticed that it was causing a rash(kind of like poison ivy) on the insides of my forearms. I now just use oxyclean and soak for an hour or two with great results.:mug:

Geez. How soiled were your arms? next time try dove on the arms and feet and use the PBW on the brewery.

I wouldn't think so. I've soaked my kegs in a PBW solution for months and have had no issues.

Additionally, PBW is more effective at an elevated temprature.

Additionally, PBW is more effective at an elevated temprature.

Yep. The soak isn't because they are that soiled. Rather, I add the PBW and hot water, put them in the basement to soak and then when I finally get around to cleaning them out months have passed.

I was thinking about using my vinator to rinse my empty bottles with PBW, much like I do with StarSan. Does PBW need more contact time then StarSan? Would a vinator work in this situation?

PBW just like Oxyclean Free needs to soak(hot but not boiling water increases the effectiveness of these cleaners).

Starsan is a contact sanitizer, PBW/Oxyclean are cleaners!

Clean first then sanitize!

Latest posts

Back