bottling - bottles still wet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipajay

Reaction score
I am in the process of sanitizing bottles, they were already cleaned. Do they have to be fully dry before I bottle? Will the water, the little there is, have any ill effect?

Thanks!

Jay

Assuming you're sanitizing with a no-rinse solution and not 1cup bleach / 1 gal water or something crazy like that, they'll be just fine bottled wet.

No, they don't have to be dry. Depending on what you used, it may even be preferable to have them still wet. I use star-san, a no-rinse wet contact sanitizer. That means it's still working, as long as the surface is still wet. I just sanitize and bottle away!

c-brite is a no-rinse sanitizer. You have no reason to wait until the bottles are dry to bottle. I usually leave my bottles soaking in the solution while I rack to the bottling bucket. By that time they are all sanitized up. Then I'll pull 20 or so of them out and drain em out then bottle immediately. If anything not waiting reduces the chance of any airborn contaminants entering your bottles.

They are usually full of beer within a minute of coming out of the solution when I bottle.

Most no-rinse sanitizers are {b]No RInse, WET CONTACT sanitizers[/b] that means that they SHOULD be bottled wet.....their efficacy as a santizer is cut in half if you let them dry....

I am using c-brite, and rinsing everything before I bottle.
Wait, you're not sanitizing and then rinsing off the sanitizer with unsanitized water, are you?
Just pull a bottle out of a tub of sanitizer, shake out all the excess fluid, and fill with beer.

Wait, you're not sanitizing and then rinsing off the sanitizer with unsanitized water, are you?
Just pull a bottle out of a tub of sanitizer, shake out all the excess fluid, and fill with beer.

Good catch.....No-Rinse means no rinse!!! Especially if you are suing tap water, you just rendered your sanitization pretty much useless....

-thanks for the advice. I was rinsing in unsanitized water, the learning process continues!

I have a question. I cleaned with One Step then Potassium Metabisulphite and a quick water rinse. Can I bottle right away?

Can I bottle right away?
Yes.

Out of the three things you used and did, I would have just stopped after the One Step. It is a no rinse sanitizer and what ever remains on/in the bottles after draining for a moment or two is fine.

If you want to use all three things, then next time I'd do them in reverse order.

Back