SWMBO says no to kegerator.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mximus11

Reaction score
Ok so my wife says no to turning my extra fridge into a kegerator. Do I have any other options?! I have a mini fridge but its way too mini.

Offer her something in return? Tell her how much a kegerator would mean to you and the company you entertain at home? If that doesn't work you can go with the old standby of "but all the other guys on HBT have one..."

Am I glad that I am single. I just don't get it with wives/husbands that say to no to wanting to buy certain things. If you have the money then what is the big deal??? I just don't get it. Do they say no because they can??

Btw, sorry I really didn't answer your question.

Just store the keg in the fridge without actually "turning it into a kegerator." Or is that out too?

Put her on, I want to hear the other side of the story. Me thinks there's a little more to it.

Get her to help you bottling and after your batch is bottled tell/show her how easy going straight to keg is....

Unless your wife is like mine and actually likes bottling... then just buy one on craigslist and say you picked it up curbside for free.. ;)

Yeah unfortunatley she has no problem bottling. I could just keep the keg in the fridge but then I would just have a picnic tap and a co2 right. Takes up the same amount of room. I don't think that she is crazy about me drilling holes in it.

My buddy was in the same boat. What he did was put a CO2 bottle in the fridge along with the lines/couplings for running a couple cornies and used picnic taps. I don't think his wife knows to this day that he's got a makeshift setup.

My buddy was in the same boat. What he did was put a CO2 bottle in the fridge along with the lines/couplings for running a couple cornies and used picnic taps. I don't think his wife knows to this day that he's got a makeshift setup.

I still do this with my kegerator out of sheer laziness, i say go for it.

If the fridge is shared space for her stuff too, then I can see her problem. If that's the case, get a second one. Craigslist is your friend.

If the fridge is shared space for her stuff too, then I can see her problem. If that's the case, get a second one. Craigslist is your friend.

Not sure can still get SWMBO's on craigslist... But if you can a second one would come in handy at times.;)

Ok so my wife says no to turning my extra fridge into a kegerator. Do I have any other options?!

One thing to think about is to actually keep the SWMBO and give up the kegerator. At first blush it seems easier to build the kegerator so that the it's already an established fixture when the new woman moves in but you might find that you'll go through several iterations before you find a reasonable one. This is especially true if you're unattractive or unemployed.

If you're really fond of this woman it might be something you'd consider.

I am in the same boat with the swmbo not letting me drill through but what the hell, its better then not having any cold beer and bottling. What she doesnt know is that I did drill a hole through the back for the C02 line to keep that out of the fridge. just make a nice clean hole and DONT hit any lines or you are a dead man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If she notices the hole tell her it was there and covered up with a grommet that you lost.

Picture 001.jpg

Picture 003.jpg

Not sure can still get SWMBO's on craigslist... But if you can a second one would come in handy at times.;)

Does it mean I'm getting old if the first thing that came to my mind was "seems like it'd be more trouble than it's worth to have two?"

I have been using picnic taps with my four kegs in the spare fridge in my basement for a few years now. I really have no desire to spend over a few hundred dollars just for some perlicks and shanks. I also really don't want to drill holes in my newer $1000 fridge quite yet. As it works great the way it is!

SWMBO says no to kegerator? well then I would say no to SWMBO. Unless she has a damn good reason for not making an "extra" fridge actually useful again, then she sounds like a dolt and a control freak

start picking up more bottles till they are all over the place. then when she starts on about all these damn bottles! ya say,hey,I could always throw them out and keg.

Step one build this without SWMBO knowing

Step 2 buy freezer/fridge again without SWMBO knowing

Step 3 enjoy freedom

By freedom I of course mean being single.

Ok so my wife says no to turning my extra fridge into a kegerator. Do I have any other options?! I have a mini fridge but its way too mini.

I guess she needs the fridge for her stuff.

Like that jar she keeps your balls in???

:)

Just kidding dude. (kind of)

JFDI

pick up a cheap fridge on craigslist and turn it into the beer fridge.
if you wanna keep peace, talk it over with her first and find out the best place to put the 'new fridge'

or

Just F'n Do It

What's her objection? If it's seeing the taps like you have your own bar then just go with picnic taps...if it's space, scour Craigslist for a cheap small freezer..I picked up a pretty good sized almost new one for $100..plus another $60 for the temperature controller.

You have to get to what the real issue is then go from there.

If I had a SWMBO I would probably be in this same predicament. Fortunately my wife is understanding and after 25 years we know and respect each other enough that we know how to communicate and and share equally without me having to obey her orders.

While I can see her reluctance to have any holes drilled in what she sees as a perfectly fine fridge, there should be some kind of compromise in any good relationship.

I'm going through a similar situation with SWMBO. Ultimately she didn't want the taps in the kitchen/living areas, so I guess it will be trips to the basement to pull a pint.

The underlying reason is that she has several uncles who had alcohol problems, along with a brother currently going through A.A. Because of this her mother has a very negative view of beer and alcohol, in general. I think having the taps "in view" during in-law visits would cause a problem.

In the end, I think the basement is a fair compromise, especially after I found out the reasoning behind her initial "No way, no how!" response. The OP should talk to his SWMBO and find out more as to why she doesn't want him doing this.

What can she REALLY do about it? I mean, if I were you, I would start talking about building a real bar in the living room with towers and a mirrored back bar for liquor bottles and a wine fridge in the back. not like you are asking a question though, more like "IM BUILDING THIS BAR, LOOK AT THESE NEW PLANS I GOT OFF THE INTERNET" , when you start talking about running glycol lines for cooling and drilling holes in the floor or walls, I think she will give in on the fridge just to slow you down. really, it works......

I gotta say that I'm a lucky man.

My wife bought me my first brew kit for Christmas 2008. Since that time, we've done a complete kitchen renovation, which includes the space for an under the counter mini fridge, and the counter space for a double faucet tower.

That was HER idea. She doesn't even drink beer.

Last night as we were going to sleep, she says to me, "I want you to get that fridge for yourself for Valentines Day. And please don't get me flowers that day. They're way too expensive and not worth it."

My Life FTW.

Am I glad that I am single. I just don't get it with wives/husbands that say to no to wanting to buy certain things. If you have the money then what is the big deal??? I just don't get it. Do they say no because they can??

Btw, sorry I really didn't answer your question.

Yeah. I don't ask permission. I save my own "pocket money" and get what I want.

And then buy something of equal value to buy her off.

I used a cobra setup for about 5 years and was completely happy with it. But then my wife went and bought me parts to build a kegerator for my birthday :p

I feel sorry for some of you. You have to fight for just one freezer/fridge...I just bought a second freezer yesterday. I have no SWMBO, but I think my gf has learned not to be surprised by anything I do. Especially when it comes to my beer.

Oh, and yes, Craigslist rules. Got them for $60 and $50 each. Can't beat that!

I'm allowed to do the keezer thing as long as I make a tap for fountain soda. She loves Diet Coke out of a fountain so I think it's a fair trade off.

How in the world did his wife not notice the kegs in the fridge? Is this not the home's primary refrigerator?

I'm allowed to do the keezer thing as long as I make a tap for fountain soda. She loves Diet Coke out of a fountain so I think it's a fair trade off.

I got the go ahead to do the keezer when I told my wife I'd put in a ginger ale tap, and do some woodwork around the keezer to "class it up" a bit.

Send her a link to a nice http://www.kegerator.com/. One of these would look great pretty much anywhere, and you wouldn't have to drill holes.

I went through something similar with the second fridge, however in my case I specifically purchased it in the name of beer. I agreed not to drill holes, however we agreed instead to purchase an indoor kegerator once my hobby matures.

My wife and I talked about beer as my hobby, and then we talked about what hobby she would like to pursue. When I sink a large chunk of change into beer, she sinks a large chunk of change into her hobby... they end up balancing each other out so neither of us goes overboard, and so far it's working great.

It also helps that she loves beer... :rockin:

Back