Home Brew Colour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vorsicht709

Reaction score
I just started my first brew about a week ago. Im using a morgans canadian Blonde kit. I have had my brew in the secondary fermenter for about 3 days and its a kind of orangey opaque colour, not really the yellow i was expecting. Is there something wrong?, Did i oxygnate when racking? or will it get lighter.

Picture006.jpg

I have noticed that all of my brews are darker than I expected. You have to remember that you are seeing it in a 5 GALLON container and not a pint glass. There is more beer for the light to pass through. Also the color will settle down as the yeast drops out of suspension.
-Drew

That will be a very light beer. The beers that I brew that I consider light, are still pretty much brown in the carboy. Like the other poster mentioned, there is more beer for light to pass through so it is going to be darker there than it will in your pint glass.

It looks really good actually! Like the others said, the yeast will start to drop out of suspension and it'll clear nicely. The one thing you might notice after the beer clears, it might actually look a little darker in the carboy. That's because the (white) yeast will drop out leaving the beer behind. It won't really be dark at all- it just looks that way in a 5 gallon carboy.

Back