Ordinary Bitter, distinctive sour taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcrabb22

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made ordinary bitter and it has noticeable sour taste to it.

Beside Marris Otter and C 120, it contains 3.5% Special Roast and the description of this grain includes the character of "... deep golden to brown color and toasty, biscuity, sour, and tangy flavors."

Would this be the source of the sour taste? If so, I am giving the 1.5lbs I have left away......

The only beer I've brewed that's contained special roast certainly has a "sour, tangy" taste in the background. I think it's one of the best beers I've ever brewed (greenwood rover's shiver me bitters). The special is 2.7% of the grain bill. I've wondered where the "sour" comes from and you might have solved that for me. If it's the special roast, I'll be playing with percentages of the stuff on other beers...

Awaiting other responses....

The only beer I've brewed that's contained special roast certainly has a "sour, tangy" taste in the background. I think it's one of the best beers I've ever brewed (greenwood rover's shiver me bitters). The special is 2.7% of the grain bill. I've wondered where the "sour" comes from and you might have solved that for me. If it's the special roast, I'll be playing with percentages of the stuff on other beers...

Awaiting other responses....

Maybe I should send you what I have left, I'm not a fan of it :)

I have used special roast in my Honker's Ale clone and it has no sourness at all.

Maybe I should send you what I have left, I'm not a fan of it :)

If only shipping would be worth it...

Pending other responses why don't ya post it on the pay it forward thread - have receiver pick up or pay shipping.

Back